• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PQI DDR333 overclocked Limits?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

XReaLm

hi guys need some opinion,, i have a 2 x 512MB PQI DDR333, what is the limit in overclocking this? is this possible to overlclocked into DDR400? without overkilling my ram??

My CPU is AMD Athlon 2500 XP+ ..

Overclocking ram won't kill it unless you are giving it too much voltage. You should download memtest86 and make a boot disc. Use it to test new ram settings before trying to boot into Wivdows. If you are getting errors in Memtest then try to loosen your timings and/or give it a small increase in voltage (small increases won't fry it. Good air circulation in your case is suggested to help keep it cool) and then test it again. Good luck.

amer1337 said:
how do you overclock ram exactly? is it all in the timings
Your ram speed is a product of the front side bus speed, fsb, (in your case if you are running stock it's 166MHz) and what percentage of the fsb your ram is running. This should be set at 100% for the best performance. Both of these are controlled in your bios. You also need to consider agp/pci clock, which controls how fast agp and pci devices are run. You don't want to overclock these so you should set this at 66MHz. It is probably set at auto in your bios. Then you can gradually raise the fsb speed a few MHz at a time and test for stability and check your CPU temps. You will be overclocking your CPU and your ram at that point.
Okay, this was a simple explanation, but I suggest you check some of the forum sticky's for a complete explanation of how to overclock an Athlon XP system. While it's not that difficult there are many steps and factors to consider. My above explanation will work fine on a modest overclock, but going as high as 200fsb is far trickier and with corresponding risks. This is particularly true if you stumble into it blindly, which it doesn't sound like you are doing. Good luck.

Back