• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Asus P4C800-E DLX, Do I need a Nortwood to boot first time?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alcoholiday

Registered
I just orderd a new Asus P4C800-E DLX motherboard and a pentium m 1,6 chip and a adopter.

Do I need a Northwood to boot it the first time for a biosflash, or can i use my Prescott chip`?

Depends on which BIOS the board is shipped with. You need at least BIOS 1021 to boot the Dothan...

Otherwise flash the board with whatever socket 479 CPU you please, and you should be set to go.

Good luck.

Yes, you will need a regular s478 (willamette, northwood, celly or mobile) to boot and flash it first.

Unless you have a banias around because those seem to work anyway.

Might be lucky and get the right bios shipped with the board. Chances are slim though. Since you've ordered a 1.6gh, thats not a banias, so yes you'll need a 478 cpu to boot the board with.

<edit> just re-read your first post. If the Pressie is a socket 478 chip then it'll work fine :) </edit>

Back