• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need some DDR2 Help Please

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TechtonicPC

Member, formerly Surfrat
I am building a new system and need a little help in the ram department. This will be my first time with DDR2 and I see a lot of different speeds/Timings out there. I was hoping someone could point me int he right direction.

Here is my MOBO and CPU I will probably be going with:

Update ABIT AW8-MAX Socket T (LGA 775) Intel 955X ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail
Model #: AW8-MAX
$225.00
MOBO

Update intel Pentium 4 640 Prescott 800MHz FSB LGA 775 EM64T Processor Model BX80547PG3200F - Retail
Model #: BX80547PG3200F
$275.99
CPU

Now I plan on overclocking, but nothing to outrageous. You will see in my sig my cuirrent overclock. I want to something similar with this new setup. Take the 3.2 to some where in the 3.8 to 4.0 range. Now my current setup I am running a 5:4 divider, so my ram is not overclocked at all. I need osme thoughts on what to do and what DDR2 to use. I need 1gb of the stuff and don't want to spend a freakin fortune, but do want something decent that is not gonna cause me trouble.

Here are two sets I am considering, and would like input on pros and cons, and any other suggestions you may have!

1. Update OCZ Gold Series 1GB (2 x 512MB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 533 (PC2 4300) Unbuffered Dual Channel Kit System Memory Gold Mirrored Copper Heatspreader Model OCZ25331024ELDCGE-K - Retail
Model #: OCZ25331024ELDCGE-K
$130.38
Ram

2. Patriot Extreme Performance 240-Pin 1GB DDR2 PC2-5600, Model PEP21G5600+XBL -Retail

Model# PEP21G5600+XBL
Item # N82E16820220053

Specifications:
Manufacturer: PDP / Patriot
Speed: DDR2-700(PC2-5600)
Type: 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM
Error Checking: Non-ECC
Registered/Unbuffered: Unbuffered
Cas Latency: 4-3-3-12(DDR2 700), 4-3-3-10(DDR2 667), 3-2-2-4(DDR2 533)
Support Voltage: 1.8V
Bandwidth: 5.6GB/s
Organization: 128M x 64 -Bit
Warranty: Lifetime
RAM

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I guess my main question is is there going ot be a major difference in PC2-4300 then the PC2-5600. I mean if I want to take a 3.2 P4 to a stable 3.9 or 4.0 am I going to notice a major difference.

Also is there a certain chipset I am looking for that is better then the other.

Both of the above rams I listed are fairly cheap. I don't know anyhting about the Patriot Extreme Performance 240-Pin 1GB DDR2 PC2-5600, other then it seems to be a fairly decent DDR2-700 set of ram. The timings listed seem great to me, but again I don't have much knowledge in this department.

Any info or point me to a link would be great!

The Patriot RAM will probably have the best timings of the budget RAM you listed. Most PC2-4200 or PC2-4300 will overclock to at least 667 speeds or more. As for chipsets, the i925XE like the Abit AA8XE if you want to save some cash and don't plan to upgrade to the dual cores or i955 chipset if you want the latest that will support the dual cores for a future upgrade path.

steven_a-data said:
A-Data Vitesta series DDR2 533Mhz modules are all you need.
:welcome: to the forums. You wouldnt happen to be an A-Data rep would you? :)

Out of what you have listed the Patriot DDR700 would be the best thing to buy. It uses Micron's "fat-body" chips which are the best DDR2 modules you can buy. They overclock quite high with very good timings unlike the majority of current DDR2

Sentential said:
:Out of what you have listed the Patriot DDR700 would be the best thing to buy. It uses Micron's "fat-body" chips which are the best DDR2 modules you can buy. They overclock quite high with very good timings unlike the majority of current DDR2

This was waht I was referring to by chipset, "It uses Micron's "fat-body" chips which are the best DDR2 modules you can buy." As in what brands are making the better DDR2 right now.

I have no experience with any DDR2 yet and am open for suggestions. I just wanted to stay int he $220 or under price range for a gig.

Anyone have experience with those patriot sticks? Any other sticks in that range you would recommend more?

Thank you everyone for the replies.

There are several brands that are using them. Patriot is purely the cheapest. OCZ's PC5300 Platnium EL uses them as well. Just as Adata's 1066 uses them.

Batboy uses the OCZ version of this RAM. Im sure he would highly recomend them. If the OCZ isnt much more expensive I would go with that option.

The stuff im using (Mushkin PC5300) uses micron now, but I have the older stuff that I think use Infineon. While the Micron is better I have had alot of random stability issues while using it. (not mushkin related, tried several brands)

I personally dislike all Micron based RAM for that reason, DDR1 and 2 alike. I would rather take the lack in speed for something much more stable. My micron sticks are only used for benchmarks.

My favorites are mostly from what the INQ calls the "Dramurai". They would include:

Hynix
Infineon
Samsung
Elpedia

Others I can tolerate are:

Mosel-Vitelec
Promos
Winbond

But at the bottom of my list is of course Micron. I used alot of their DDR1 products and found them to be.....underwhelming. They caused a major headache much like the DDR2 did. I eventually swapped back to Hynix on my DDR1 and later Samsung.

As much as the numbers look good for Micron, I would never use it in a 24/7 setting.

Last edited:
Bump... I'm getting a new system with P5WD2 and 640... I don't know what is some good DDR2 ram to get. I was directed at this ram, but it might just be a little too expensive for me.

Sentential has some personal experience with several types of memory. I have three pairs of DDR2 RAM: Samsung PC2-3200, Kingston HyperX PC2-5400, and OCZ EB rev2 PC2-4200. I've never had any stability problems with my DDR2. The OCZ uses similar Micron chips as the Patriot RAM you listed. I've been very impressed with my OCZ.

OCZ-EB-cpuz-tightest.JPG

Last edited:
batboy said:
I've never had any stability problems with my DDR2.
I gotta be honest. I kinda jumped the gun. Turned out I was purely maxing out my CPU due to heat :( Its no differnt now then it was back on the other stick. Guess Ill be slapping them back in :shrug:

steven_a-data said:
Thank you Sentential. I hope I can help out in this forum with any questions about memory or A-Data products.
I figured as much. :welcome: and enjoy your stay! Btw, on that note, how is that 1066 Viesta coming along?

Sentential said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820227025
^^ That would be it. However they dont have the 1GB sticks in stock

Anyone happen to know where you can find this same stuff in the 1GB version.. 2 X 512mb.. for a reasonable price? Can only find the 2gb on newegg

OCZ PC2-5400 1GB(2x512MB) 667MHZ DDR2 DUAL CHANNEL OCZ26671024EBDCPE-K PLATINUM EDITION ENHANCED BANDWIDTH -

That?

Surfrat said:
OCZ PC2-5400 1GB(2x512MB) 667MHZ DDR2 DUAL CHANNEL OCZ26671024EBDCPE-K PLATINUM EDITION ENHANCED BANDWIDTH -

That?

That's not the memory BatBoy and I are talking about. We have the OCZ EB Platinum Rev. 2 LE PC-4200 DDR2-533mhz 3-2-2-8.

NewEgg seems to be out of the 2x512mb kit right now.

It's rated PC-4200(533mhz) 3-2-2-8 but mine does DDR2-667 3-2-2-6 w\2.1v and BatBoy has hit DDR2-700 with 3-2-2-8 timings.

whozyodaddy said:
So you guys think that this ram is the best DDR2 under $250?

Yes... go back and look at my screen shot in post #9. Then do a search to see what other people with DDR2 are getting for timings at that speed. Can't beat those timings in the DDR2 world.

Thanks for the all the help with this matter.

I am going to go with the stuff batboy and ranger are talkin about. It is a little expensive compared to the cheaper stuff but the OC and timings they got are amazing to me.

Thanks again guys. This forum is the best!

:)

Back