• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

how do we tell?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adriana

hey i wanted to see what my ram running on 1t or 2t. where do i check in bio? what is it listed as? if its 2t and i put it as 1t will it mess any thing up? i have a corsair VS1GBKIT400

I have not seen settings anywhere besides on the nf4 motherboards. Intel chipsets usually default to 1T (you can't see it anywhere). Generally 1T = better performance however it can reduce stability (on high overclocks) and 2T = slower especially in theoretical benchmarks I don't think its a major player in real life performance however it is more stable. You are most likely running at 1T since its only a gig of decent quality ram (unless you are on an nf4 motherboard and you set it otherwise).

1T = 1 command every clock cycle
2T = 1 command every 2 clock cycles

adriana, what motherboard do you have? I dont know what it's labeled in my BIOS but it's the only thing with 1T or 2T for a setting.
I have a question about 1T and 2T tho. If you're running your memory at high speeds and loose timings, should you set it to 2T and see if you can get a higher overclock with the same timings? Or is 1T always better?

how about read delay (twtr) choices are: 1t 2t auto, Write delay (trwt) chocies are: auto 1t 2t 3t 4t 5t 6t,

Read the memory timings sticky on the top of the forum...you can also search google for memory settings on your board. There's a lot of good information out there. Otherwise, make small changes and see what your RAM can handle. Make sure to do stability tests! There's no exact settings we can give you...experimenting for yourself is most of the fun. If you have to reset a BIOS...well...I've reset plenty. :)

For Memtest86, one of the most commonly used for preliminary testing see the linked thread.

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=331988

See post #3 for some links and posts #13 & #21 for installing Memtest86 using a CD and floppy, respectively.

As johan851 stated, you can get genera guides from seeing what others are using, but each board and memory will be different and some settings make work better for you than others. Memtest86 indicates unbuffered bandwidth as one of the displayed items and it is useful to monitor this to get an idea of which way your changes are taking you. This last link has a small "tutorial" of sorts by eva2000 on memory testing even though it is an Overclocking Guide in name.

http://i4memory.com/showthread.php?t=327

Tweak away!

ok thanks i got it running at 2.5,3,3, uh i forgot last one and um 1t. i wanna try to make it 2.5,2,2,5

adriana said:
ok thanks i got it running at 2.5,3,3, uh i forgot last one and um 1t. i wanna try to make it 2.5,2,2,5

Good luck with that, i had those and couldnt run better 2.5-3-3-7-1t stable @ >DDR400

ahhh i tried didnt work.. it messed uup my computer more like it..the screen didnt turn on and stuff so i had to clear cmos. then when i turn it on it got all mess up. now it keeps sayings ide detected when i boot up. how do i stop that>? also if i check everest on SPD its said that my module width is 64bit is that suppose to be right???

It's supposed to say "IDE detected" when it boots up. That means it found your hard drive. If it continues and boots up normally after that, you're okay.

jjv687 said:
I have a question about 1T and 2T tho. If you're running your memory at high speeds and loose timings, should you set it to 2T and see if you can get a higher overclock with the same timings? Or is 1T always better?
You'd need to OC your RAM about 25% to make up for the 3% hit for using 2T. Unless 2T gives you at least another 50MHz, it's not worth it.

Otter said:
You'd need to OC your RAM about 25% to make up for the 3% hit for using 2T. Unless 2T gives you at least another 50MHz, it's not worth it.

Ahh thanks. I guess 2T is not for my RAM. How'd you come up those numbers tho?

jjv687 said:
Ahh thanks. I guess 2T is not for my RAM. How'd you come up those numbers tho?
By applying the principles of guesswork to link people's results. :p

Corsair measures the difference between 1T and 2T at a little over 3%.
http://www.corsairmemory.com/corsair/products/guides/AN501_Latency_Settings_and_Performance.pdf
And the folks in this thread
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1577496&enterthread=y
show 2-3% on similar aps. (Neither memory frequency nor timings matter all that much with most applications with the A64. The onboard memory controller is so effective that the RAM almost always keeps up with the needs of the CPU, even if your RAM isn't the greatest.)

Now, if you look at the numbers in this thread,
http://forums.anandtech.com/messageview.aspx?catid=28&threadid=1475190&enterthread=y
you can get a very rough idea of the relative effects of latency and bandwith.

Finally, in Anandtech's value RAM roundup it says that a 20% memory overclock is good for about 2-3% real world performance, at best.

Sticking all that together with a little fudge, I'd guess that you'll need 40-50MHz more RAM clock to balance the hit for a 2T command rate. That's a very rough estimate, of course, but as no one seems to have tested both timings and frequency under the same conditions, and I don't have an A64 to do my own tests (the research is for my next system), it's the best I've been able to come up with. If you want to test it yourself by comparing 2T at your highest RAM clock to 1T at a lower RAM clock, quite a few of us would be interested in the results.

BTW, the command rate isn't the number of clock cycles between commands, it's the number of clock cycles it takes after memory controller asks for a specific chip until the chip is selected and ready to recieve commands. After that, each type of command needs a certain number of clock cycles to complete. Those numbers are the timings.

ahh i fix the ide detecting thingy. its back to normal now. it was so scary at first. i change 2.5,3,3,8 to 2.5,2,2,8 and the VGA just died! rawr scary moment of my life.

Back