• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Watercooling project up and running - nearly done!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SGTFury

Registered
Big sigh of relief, this is my first foray into wc, I modded my own core, built my own shroud, had no idea what was gonna happen, but its up and its sweeet

Waterblock - Swiftech MCW6002
Heat Exchanger - 77 Pontiac Bonneville heater core
Pump - Aqua Extreme 50Z (virtually silent)
Fans - Panaflo -2 x FBA08A12L1AU 114CFM
Tubing - Tygon 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (1/8" wall)
Swiftech - 5.25 bay reservoir
Additive - Water Wetter

All on my new Athlon 64 3200+ Venice, clocked at 2.7GHz I've got
idle temps 29c, full load, 42/43c

Sisoft Sandra estimated C/W at .06

I had a mid-tower case and I tried to mount the hc on the back, but that just wasn't gonna fly, and I couldn't get the side panel on with the tubing, so I got an Antec Soho case, took out the front 3.5 bays, built a smaller shroud, and the whole thing fits nicely inside. Although, I cut my tubing down too short. I'm gonna have to get new tubing. Tygon is awesome, very soft and bendable, but its $$$ - maybe I'll try that Masterkleer. I got 10 feet of Home Depot tubing for a test setup, and that stuff is hard as a rock, and it got discolored from the water after one test run. The tygon is soft and silky smooth, and no discoloration. Can definitely tell the difference there.

When I get the wires tamed, I'll post pics.

Thanks to all for the advice and for the great posts and guides. I had lots of fun.

Last edited:
cant wait to see the pics, i had the same type of setup with antec soho case

heres a pic of mine, before it got parted out:
attachment.php

my temps with a 3.4 p4 and a nvidia 6800 PCI-Express where cpu 41 @ load

but its gone now, and im slowly getting out of pc's for new car.... gotta do what ya gotta do.... :rolleyes:

sounds like honhon is succumbing to responsible adulthood ;-
ehe

im also looking forward to the pics
fresh fish is great

Congrats on the job, you seem to be happy with it and that is the important part. Cannot wait until the pics are up. Where did you get your Heatercore?

Bryan d

Looking forward to seeing some pics as well.

citronym said:
sounds like honhon is succumbing to responsible adulthood ;-
ehe

Nah it is just a phase he will regress soon enough. I did LOL
The only difference is I have more money to spend on my addiction now. :D

good job on the case. I like the homemade process. How many times did you peek into the case after you were done just to marvel at your work? Sometimes thats the best part.

I have one suggestion though. The DIMM arrangement you have. I am not sure on your particular board, but usually you want to have the RAM placed in specific sockets. Some manufacturers do not place the DIMM slots in order, instead do 1,3,2,4. It might not make a big difference, just throwing it out there.

Getting into adulthood does not mean getting rid of all hobbies! I just got into watercooling only six months ago and love it. Although I have built many systems for me and for others, I just undertook my first real modded system with all cables sleeved, case painted, UV lighting, etc. and I love it. I am almost done with it. And yes, I do like turning on the UV lights and just looking...

It is satisfying having done the core and putting it together yourself and seeing it work, isn't it?

That's an awsome rig...very very clean and sexy looking...and blue!!! :cool: :cool:

btw...i have the same gcard....the copper shield on it makes your system look even sexier!! :sn:

Back