• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Xbit and the Pentium-M

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
no kidding, and other than the low volt capabilites (which the adaptor doesn't support for real LV processors) its not viable. I rather have my SSE3 and 64bit capabilities with my 6x0 series cpu and deal with the extra voltage and heat. Unless this work in normal boards (if they port them to LGA775) they will never be like the XP-Ms were. The XP-Ms were cheap, not like these as Sjaak mentioned.

Thing is these are a whole different architecture, not just binned for low voltages like the XP mobiles will.

My Dothan at 2.4Ghz 9200FSB) slaughters my former 2.8C @ 3.5 in all area's where i think it is important. (windows smoothness, games etc.)

I notice that it took ed long enough to realize that the CT-479 is out. There have been multiple articles that have talked about the ct-479, and lower end dothans. Heck the 730 is $200 coupled with an adapter for $45 is still cheaper the a 630 yet it will probably beat out the 630 unoverclocked and spank the 630 overclocked.

By the way dicecca this is what future intel CPUs will look like. However it won't be out in force until Yonah, and dual cores.

Sjaak said:
Thing is these are a whole different architecture, not just binned for low voltages like the XP mobiles will.

My Dothan at 2.4Ghz 9200FSB) slaughters my former 2.8C @ 3.5 in all area's where i think it is important. (windows smoothness, games etc.)

But I don't think that is what he was trying to say, the plus for the athlon xp-m was that it would overclock higher then a desktop chip while not costing that much more, now if one of the lower end p-m can overclock as high as the one they reviewed, then it would certainly be worth it. But in any case these chips are looking good, if I'm not mistaken it was giving off 40w overclocked, just imagine what these chips would do with a water cooling setup or a high end hsf, but if I'm to pay over $700 for a chip I could get a Athlon 64 x2 or a Athlon FX.

Avg said:
But I don't think that is what he was trying to say, the plus for the athlon xp-m was that it would overclock higher then a desktop chip while not costing that much more, now if one of the lower end p-m can overclock as high as the one they reviewed, then it would certainly be worth it. But in any case these chips are looking good, if I'm not mistaken it was giving off 40w overclocked, just imagine what these chips would do with a water cooling setup or a high end hsf, but if I'm to pay over $700 for a chip I could get a Athlon 64 x2 or a Athlon FX.

My 1.6 dothan will do 2.5ghz on stock and 2.75ghz on not-so-stock cooling and i have yet to get better ram and do drastic vmods. 3Ghz looks possible with high end air / water.

1.6 -> 3Ghz, tell me thats bad :) For games, that's equal to a 3.2Ghz A64 or a 5Ghz P4.

Is there an ATX mobo for the p-m? I might consider getting one of these if there was a mobo which I could install whatever hsf I wanted.

Avg said:
Is there an ATX mobo for the p-m? I might consider getting one of these if there was a mobo which I could install whatever hsf I wanted.

With a little modding, you can fit almost any heatsink on the adapter.

See sticky.

Sjaak said:
With a little modding, you can fit almost any heatsink on the adapter.

See sticky.

Not so good modding stuff, If tape doesn't do there is nothing else I can do :D .

Avg said:
Not so good modding stuff, If tape doesn't do there is nothing else I can do :D .

Pssh.

I agree, gaffer tape is the best invention ever, but in this case a little more effort will be rewarded.

Back