• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Did I ruin my wterblock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Tay

My Swiftech MCW5000-A waterblock wasn't shiny enough for me, so I decided to polish it up with a grinder. The wheel I used (below) is like a stiff sponge.

wheel

wheel2

The block was really shiny when I was done. After a few days, it got dull again tho. My WC temps weren't as expected (37*C idle), so, The only thing that I can think of is 1) I didn't do my thermal past right (applied it to the CPU instead of the heatsink), 2) I messed up my waterblock when I buffed it.

waterblock

waterblock2

So, before I go shoot myself, did I ruin my waterblock?

I wouldn't say you ruined it but you may have compromised the performance. Swiftech blocks are the flattest blocks in the universe (that may be a slight overstatement there) and there shoud be no functional reason to lap it.

Here's a direct quote from Swiftech's site:
Exceptional quality and attention to details: the base plate is lapped to 0.0003" (3/10 of 1/1000"), and polished to near-mirror finish to promote optimum thermal conductivity. Users are advised that while flatness is strictly respected for providing the most significant benefit to thermal interface, surface polish is a cosmetic component and may vary slightly from one heatsink to another. Re-lapping or polishing the copper base is never recommended.

So, it may make a few degrees difference, but not like 10?

I honestly couldn't say. The only way to know would have been if you had a before temp to compare to. Without that an guess would be just that, a guess. My only recommendation for what you could do about the situation you are in now would be to lap the sink to get back as much of the flatness as possible, I'm talking going up to 2,000 grit paper (or more). Those scratches look pretty coarse but I can't feel them to tell. You'll have to decide if you think its worth working on further to fix it or if you should leave it as is.

Did you check how flat the base is? I've lapped a couple blocks and ended up actually rounding the base rather than making it flat. Get a straight edge and check the base. More recently when I was installing my waterblock I did a poor job and it did make a close to 10C difference once I got it on there good. With those old mounting systems its very easy to have it sit lopsided. Give it a reseat and see if it helps.

eobard said:
I honestly couldn't say. The only way to know would have been if you had a before temp to compare to. Without that an guess would be just that, a guess. My only recommendation for what you could do about the situation you are in now would be to lap the sink to get back as much of the flatness as possible, I'm talking going up to 2,000 grit paper (or more). Those scratches look pretty coarse but I can't feel them to tell. You'll have to decide if you think its worth working on further to fix it or if you should leave it as is.

The scratches came on it. Seeing I got it off eBay, maybe the guy tried to lap it?

Any links for lapping?

Tay said:
The scratches came on it. Seeing I got it off eBay, maybe the guy tried to lap it?

Any links for lapping?

those scratches will definately hinder performance. for future reference keep the dremel well away from the bottom of your block. here's a link to a lapping guide. forgive me ocf for linking to another forum

theres a ton of lapping guides out there, just hit up google. u might need to start with some fairly coarse paper to get the deep scratches out, but i seriously doubt its "ruined". lapping is very simple and with some work and patience u can have an equal or better surface to what it had originally.

I got some 600 grit (as fine as I could get), and lapped it for about 10 min. Then I finished up with some printer paper. Scratches and blotches are gone :) . Thanks guys.

Back