• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BIP2 -> BIX2: who's done it?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
Just curious if anyone has made the swap from a BIP2 to a BIX2 and what your results were? I have a BIP3 that gives a decent temp reduction over the BIP2 (mostly on load), but I am not really happy with how the tubing runs through the case to get to it.

The BIX2 is rated pretty close to what a BIP3 is, so I was just curious if it will offer close to the same improvement in a smaller package.

Any experiences are appreciated!

Ok, I am no Guru but I am going to give it a shot. The BIP is a thiner rad, and thus can accept a quieter fan with less pressure to force air through the fins. The BIX is thicker and will need a more powerful fan to keep the same amount of airflow through the fins.

So, what I am basically saying is you will be sacrificing frontal radiator area (most important) for more overall fin surface area. Unless your fans can force the same amount of air throught the BIX as they did through the BIP you will loose performance.

Yeah, that is all correct as far as thickness and fans. I am only running 3x 80CFM aluminum Evercools on the BIP3 and would run 4 push/pull on a BIX2.

Thanks for the reply and the theory is correct, but that's why I am looking for anyone with some real world results: to put that theory to the test ;) I usually don't mind spending the time/$$ testing things like this myself, but I am not in the mood this time...lol.

Yeah, the BIP3 has more frontal area. I am thinking you're probably right and I'd been better off with (2) BIP2s instead :) 1 BIP2 isn't quite enough and the BIP3 just isn't allowing a clean routing...

It sucks it won't allow a good routing. On the flip side, Danger Den has really good prices on BI rads. You may even be able to find somone to buy the BIP3 from you....probobly not for what you payed, but anything is better than nothing.

Or just say screw it and get a Fedco 2-302 heatercore :)

Back