• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How to make your memory scores much faster!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Maximus Nickus

Senior Shaman
Want to speed up your memory? Maybe you can, its a driver that CAN speed up your PC.
Its called Via enabler.

What is it?
This is a driver for Windows 9X, ME, NT 4.0, 2000, and XP. It will increase the speed of certain computers.

When installed on a computer whose motherboard contains certain VIA chipsets, this driver will reprogram the VIA chipset in order to increase the speed of the computer's RAM.

How does it work?
This driver takes control of the main VIA-branded chip on the computers' motherboard, which is the chip responsible for connecting the CPU to the RAM and ROM and PCI and AGP and so forth. This driver adjusts the way that the VIA chip communicates with the computer's RAM.

Do I need it?
If your computer has one of the following VIA chips on its motherboard, you might need this driver.

Chipsets for Super Socket 7 processors

Model Part # PCI ID
VP3 VT82C597 0597
MVP3 VT82C598 0598
MVP4 VT82C501 0501
Chipsets for Pentium II and III processors (the "Apollo" series)

Model Part # PCI ID
Pro VT82C691 0691
Pro133 VT82C693A 0691
Pro133A VT82C694X 0691
Pro Plus VT82C693 0693
ProSavage4 PM133 VT8605 0605
PLE133 VT8601 0601
Pro266 VT8633 3091
Chipsets for Athlon processors

Model Part # PCI ID
KX133 VT8371 0391
KT133 VT8363 0305
KT133A VT8363A 0305
S3 ProSavage KM133 8365 0305
KT266 VT8366 3099

To confirm that your computer has the correct chipset, try any of the following.

Open the computer and examine the motherboard. A large, flat, square chip near the CPU will have the VIA logo and the part number. This chip may be under a heat sink and may be difficult or impossible to read, in which case you will have to try a different method.
Download Sisoft Sandra. Examine its Mainboard Information. The 2001 edition of Sandra should identify the chipset clearly.
Use a PCI identification utility to obtain a list of the PCI devices in the computer. The correct chip has vendor number 1106 and an ID number from one of the above tables.
Refer to your motherboard manual.
Your computer might already have interleave enabled, in which case you will not need this driver. You can use Sisoft Sandra 2001 to check the computer's current use of memory interleaving. Use the Mainboard Information screen. Scroll down to "Logical/Chipset Memory Banks". Look at the "Bank Interleave" setting. If the setting is "2-way" or "4-way", then you do not need this driver.

(C)George.E.Breese

If you want this then email me on [email protected]
and I will send it to you.

nick_cw said:
... ... ... ... ...

If you want this then email me on [email protected]
and I will send it to you. [/B]

I don't think you're gonna get any E-Mails, buddy. =P

If there was something like that available, it would be available through the VIA website, with a detailed explaination. I don't see it anywhere.

Hey! Ain't no propoganda or noting im just tryin to help!
I have the latest via 4in1v1.33 drivers and enabling this driver game me an extra 100mb/s in sisandra's memory test.
Nick

P.S. I have recieved 1 email regarding it!!!!! Like I say, if you have it and it could be useful, share it.

No, it's not propaganda. The same issue came up on a couple of Voodoo5 forums, and it did help a bunch of people, especially if you have the older motherboards. The program is George Breese's memory interleaver.

I believe the ole P3V4X has the Apollo Pro chipset and it needs to have the 4-way memory interleaving turned on for maximum performance. On most of the later VIA boards, like my A7V, it is already enabled. You can use SisMark Sandra to check if it is on, or check the print on the CPU.

Most new boards have it enabled, but for earlier boards it can really help. My BIOS has bank interleave disabled at default but selecting 4 or even 2 way really speed up boot time, and other benchmarks

Back