• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Can't break 215mhz with PC3500 Redline?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ap673

I just got my 2x512mb kit of Mushkin PC3500 Redline today. I tested them out at first at 200mhz, 3.2vdimm, 2-2-2-6, and it works great. Tested them at 215mhz, same. But at just 220mhz I get 14 errors on test #5, with 3.2vdimm and 2-2-2-6 timings. I should be able to get up to atleast 225mhz with 3.2vdimm shouldn't I? I'm using the DFI-Ultra-D, 6/18-2 bios, in slots 1 and 3. I've also kept the vdimm on the 3.3 rail and have a 92mm fan over the memory and another small fan over vdimm mosfets. What gives?

Mushkin Redline XP4000 is some of the fastest memory that you can buy, but it requires special handling. You need to feed it about 3.5V for best performance.

R

it "should" do 220mhz with 3.2v, but i dont think you're really giving it 3.2v. with a normal or droopy 3.3 line you'd have some nice flux and will be closer to 3.1. switch to the 5v the PROPER WAY! and give it a go.

Ya but I hear a lot of bad things about switching to the 5v rail for vdimm, so I was trying to see how high I could go with 3.2v. Most people have been able to get 225-235mhz, but i'll let it burn all night and see how it does tomorrow.

ap673 said:
Ya but I hear a lot of bad things about switching to the 5v rail for vdimm, so I was trying to see how high I could go with 3.2v. Most people have been able to get 225-235mhz, but i'll let it burn all night and see how it does tomorrow.

ok first of all..... I'm thinking your powersupply is suspect. My Redline PC3200 sticks will do 257fsb with 3.3v on the 3.3v rail and the J17 mod. Since the 6/18 bios came out it appears the cold boot issue is now gone. I switched back to the 5v line and now I've got my ram stable at 264fsb 3.5v, but it took a lot of tweaking with the timings. What psu are you using and what do your timings look like? Post them and I'll give you a hand.

If you need some tips on how to use your ram check out this thread.....

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=379317

Ya and my rails seem fine, 3.33, 5.05, 11.73-11.89. Is this RMA?

HousERaT said:
ok first of all..... I'm thinking your powersupply is suspect. My Redline PC3200 sticks will do 257fsb with 3.3v on the 3.3v rail and the J17 mod. Since the 6/18 bios came out it appears the cold boot issue is now gone. I switched back to the 5v line and now I've got my ram stable at 264fsb 3.5v, but it took a lot of tweaking with the timings. What psu are you using and what do your timings look like? Post them and I'll give you a hand.

If you need some tips on how to use your ram check out this thread.....

http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=379317
I have a DFI ultra-d and some 3200 redline coming and had read about doing the jumper mod. Right out of the box would I be safe to just flash to the 6/18 bios and just use the 4v jumper? Or should I go ahead do j17 and bump the 3.3 up?

Alright here's a strange update to the problem. I just ran it at 215mhz 2-2-2-6 @3.2vdimm. ([email protected], LDTx4, [email protected]) and it passed about test #5 and an hour of memtest without any errors. But the strange thing is when I run prime it always reboots the computer right after about 3 min. I've played about 2 hours of bf2 without any reboots however. Anyone know what the problem is? Do people usually enable the +0.3v option in the bios when running 3.2vdimm without using the 5v jumper?

BTW I had 2x256 of TCCD before this that ran [email protected] prime stable.

bigdaddyTank said:
I have a DFI ultra-d and some 3200 redline coming and had read about doing the jumper mod. Right out of the box would I be safe to just flash to the 6/18 bios and just use the 4v jumper? Or should I go ahead do j17 and bump the 3.3 up?

You should be fine either way.

ap673 said:
Alright here's a strange update to the problem. I just ran it at 215mhz 2-2-2-6 @3.2vdimm. ([email protected], LDTx4, [email protected]) and it passed about test #5 and an hour of memtest without any errors. But the strange thing is when I run prime it always reboots the computer right after about 3 min. I've played about 2 hours of bf2 without any reboots however. Anyone know what the problem is? Do people usually enable the +0.3v option in the bios when running 3.2vdimm without using the 5v jumper?

BTW I had 2x256 of TCCD before this that ran [email protected] prime stable.

My sticks wouldn't do anything with 2-2-2-x timings until I got up to 3.2v. CH-die UTT don't like low voltage. I need to see all of your timings including the Drive Strength and Data Drive Strength. It wouldn't hurt if you told me the bios also..... ;)

ap673 said:
Ok something's really wrong with these sticks or my system, cuz they won't pass prime at 2-2-2-6, 200mhz, 3.0vdimm.

Not surprised. BH type UTT can run 2-2-2-6 at around 2.8v, but CH type requires more. My UTT wont run cas 2-2-2-6 at anything less than 3.2v. As everyone has pointed out, you need more voltage. Switch the jumper and use the ram like it was intended to be used. I have had two DFI NF4 boards now and used the 5v jumper from DAY ONE. No problems to mention. If you aren't going to do that, then be satisfied with 215mhz :(

Edit: You have to ask yourself. Would DFI put a jumper on the board for higher VDIMM if it could Self Destruct the board?

-Collin-

Ok this is just weird. Here are my dram settings so far....

cas2
trcd2
tras6
trp2
trc7
trfc15
(rest of timings are auto)
DRAM Bank = Enabled

DQS Skew Control = Auto
DQS Skew Value = 0
DRAM Drive Strength = Lvl7
DRAM Data Drive Strength = Lvl1
DRAM Respone = Normal
Read Preabmle Time = 256 cycles
Dynamic Counter = Disable
R/W Queue Bypass = 16x
Bypass Max = 7x
32 Byte Gen = Disable

I've run memtest several times with these settings and keep getting one error on test#7 at 225-235mhz.

225x9, LDTx4
CPU VID Startup Value - Startup
CPU VID Control - 1.5v
CPU VID Special Control - Auto
Chipset - 1.7v
DRAM - 3.3-3.4v

Should I just ignore the error, or whats going on? I'll keep a post of 3.4-3.5vdimm at 235-245 and see if i get any other results. Thanks a lot!

NinjaZX6R said:
Not surprised. BH type UTT can run 2-2-2-6 at around 2.8v, but CH type requires more. My UTT wont run cas 2-2-2-6 at anything less than 3.2v. As everyone has pointed out, you need more voltage. Switch the jumper and use the ram like it was intended to be used. I have had two DFI NF4 boards now and used the 5v jumper from DAY ONE. No problems to mention. If you aren't going to do that, then be satisfied with 215mhz :(

Edit: You have to ask yourself. Would DFI put a jumper on the board for higher VDIMM if it could Self Destruct the board?

-Collin-

They should have a lot of extremely dangerous jumpers on everything.

Experimental full manual control of steering and breaking on cars,
experimental full manual control of nuclear power station saftey valves.

I can taste the cleaner, used-by-less-peiple air already.

why not just switch your jumper for the higher settings? redlines seem to eat voltage more than any other ram i've ever seen.

Back