• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Prescott temp on IC7

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

nitalice

Registered
hi, i want your idea about my current temp.
you can get my system set up at my sign.

Now i use XP90 and Room temp is about31-32c (i not OC)

The CPU temp down from 73(load and throttle started) to 59-61c fter change from stock HSF and some case fan modification according to the advice from the forum.

Now
Idle: sys 33-34c(2c different from room temp), CPU: 46c, PWM: 39c
Load(2 prime95): sys:34-35c, CPU:59-61, PWM:50-51c

Note: because my country is very hot-> my room temp is high. If i put my system in AC room with temp about 24c-> Load: sys-27c, CPu-55c , PWM-46c

I heard that ABIT read higher temp than other coz it use diffrent approach to read the temp.

Question:

So if i want to compare my temp with someone who use ASU board with the same CPU , do i have to add at least 10c to ASUS temp for comparing CPU temp?

How about PWM temp, is PWM temp of ABIT also different from ASUS?

About OC, I tried to OC to 230FSB(3.0E->3.45) to test my board and CPU with stock voltage and 1:1 divider, 2.8 RamVolt and AGP volt1.65. (RAM 3-8-4-4) and GAT setting (ANADD).

with OC, in full load all CPU and PWM temp increase 3C except SYS temp.

so is 3.0->3.45 at 64C secure? I am not really want to OC as am afraid that it will shortage my CPU life because i plan to use this system at least in next 4-5 years. However my friend siad that it is useless that i bought ABIT and not OC, if in that case i should buy intel board instead which is very stable.

So is OC will shorten CPU life very much, how about next 4-5 years will my cpu able to stand if I OC or it will become slow and slow?

Soory for long post as i just to give more info so all of u can give comment easily:)

I would try to keep load CPU below low 60's. If you can do that and don't raise vcore, then your CPU will certainly last 4-5 years even overclocked. It's high voltage combined with high temp that will damage a CPU. Maybe you can run at default speed when it's really hot and O/C when the weather is a little cooler?

My temps (on a 3.2e no oc, with IC7-Max3) are room 26, case:32, cpu idle 48-49, load 63-65 and pwm 40 idle, 47-49 load. So I don't see your temps too far out.

I use the Zalman 7000Cu cooler, with a side duct.

I would also like to know how far off the abit temps are compared with other mobo's, so I can adjust the mbm5 temps accordingly (hopefully I didn't accidentally reach 87C afterall!!)

Imo - those temps are a little high for an XP90. You may want to try remounting your cooler, paying particular attention to the application of thermal paste,...

thank for your grat contributuion.

So Batboy, if i not raise the vcore, then you mean that it will make my cpu last longer than raising it. When i OC to 3.45 i did not raise vcor and temp increae 2c over default speed (63c at full load), so is it still safe for the oc if oc and not oc give onlyu 2c diffrent?

About my XP90 , Wdeep4 i think it a bit higher coz i haven't use AS5 if i have a chance to use it maybe it drop 3-5c more(poorly that i cannnot find it in my country). Anyway i think higher temp also coz by my country temp is very hot (usally31-34c) because when i use my computer in AC room which is about 26C then my sys temp is about28-29c and CPU temp will decrase 3-4c too.

Lonew0lf, your temp is really same too me but i think u should get lower then me coz if i compare my room temp to your , you r beeter than me but the diffrent temp between your sys and room temp is big so may be u can improve your case ventilation. At first i used to have5-6c differ betwenn case and room but after put to more fan and side panel to blow over AGP and CPU the temp drop to 2c only for the different.

I also want to know that if some one in the forum use ASUS boar with same cpu too me , if he said his CPU temp is 45c for full load , then it mean that if it is ABIT board it will be around 55c. am i right?

here is a quote from this site i thought you might find helpfull in answering your abit vs asus temps question.
http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_asus_temps/abit_asus_temps_05.html

"The Abit software reported temps anywhere from 10-13 degrees Centigrade high, and the Asus software read anywhere from 5-8 degrees Centigrade low as compared to the digital probe. This is an ongoing study and in part 2 we saw the same consistent results with bios 24, Abit EQ, and a Prescott CPU. Abit EQ reported temps anywhere from 7-11 degrees Centigrade high versus the digital probe"

if you want your cpu temps to go down for load temps you may consider getting a higher cfm fan as a low budget upgrade.

and 39C idle at 31-32 room temp is not bad at all. and 52-54C load temps are definately acceptable.

you should be able to run within heat spec's even on the hottest days out there.

so dont sell your abit board to buy a PoS intel just yet.

Time4aMassiveOC, 54C for full load is only for AC room but in my room no AC so when OC to 3.45 with default core my CPU is 62-63C is it safe (60c if not OC, so 3c rise) however will it reduce my CPU life (as i have mentioned early i plan to use this CPU at least 4-5 years before upgrading) much if compare to raise vcore?

Like I said earlier, what really decreases longevity is high voltage. As long as you are using default vcore and keep the load CPU temps under 65 degrees, then you'll be ok.

Ok badboy(not sure whether u r really bad or not?) u make more reliable now.

However this morning, after 10hour of 2 Prime95 my temp increase form 62c -65c (OC to 3.5 with default VCore)

but correct me if am wrong, if i ran prime 95 for 5hours stable , it mean that it will be safe if i use PC for 5hours too (like gaming or watching movie). nayway i rally use PC longer than 3-4 hour per day.

Respect BaTboy his words are true. as all with blue stars.

My friend you are fine and your pc will last long time with your heat conditions with the settings you have now.

prime 95 will stress your pc more then normal use.

If you use a duct too draw in cooler air too your cpu fan and had a better cpu fan you could add some core voltage and get your overclock even higher and not worry about how long it will last, it will last long time! even with overclocking!

I have backed up on my own mobo the fact that the IC7-G does report temps abit (<== no pun intended) high. I cannot remember the exact numbers, but if memory serves they were around 8-10 degrees high depending on load and stuff compared to the probe.

Saying that, it never hurts to cool things down as much as one can on these systems, but don't be too alarmed if the readings get high, as they read consistently high on these boards. it's kind of a safty measure if you want to look at it that way. If you take them at face value, you are always running cooler, never hotter. That is a good thing. :)

batboy soory for using word coz am confuse your name is BADboy so i just want to make a joke only, and thank to outhouse too for remind me. Anyway i will care full when usine worg next time but in my culture when i make joke with sb it shows a great reletionship and i means that what the other said is a important advice.

Now let back to my system, i post my case set up to show u about my current air flow but my case doesn't have blow hole( it hard too make it for me) but i want to know that with blow hole which temp will be reduce as now different temp between my room and case is only 2-3c so with blow hole is it possible to make it equal?

With two new fans at the side pane(advice from someone in cooling section), it help to reduce the sys temp coz beforethat i have only one fan at the middle which the different bettween sys and room is 5-6c.

Moreover i am not sure the duct will help to reduce cpu temp or not coz i tried once but the same so i remove it as am afraid it will affect my air flow.

About abit temp, now i understand that ic7 tmp is higher than other how about AI7 coz my friend own thin(it is my recomment to him) and he use 2.8e with intel HSF, now his temp: Idle, CPU-54c, PWM-44c/ Load, CPU-70c, PWM, 58c, what do u think about it? i told him about that but he said he didn't care he think the seller musthave know about that if it broke how do they dare to give three years warenty?

sorry for long post again but coz i want to learn more from u if u not ask me to pay :)

the pic is liitle bit old coz i just add one more fan to blow over my mosfet

Attachments

• Inside.jpg
    Inside.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 70
  • Side Panel.jpg
    Side Panel.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 57
No problem. It did not bother me. I can take a joke.

Nice looking case. Looks like you have several fans blowing in, but what do you have blowing out?

OK batboy thank for understanding,

my system seem to get more intake air coz i have only 120mm PSU fan over cpu, 80mm and 40mm(poorly that i cannot put 2x80mm) at the back of the case to blow the air out while i have 5x80mm to blow air in(2front,3side).

so do u think it is not efficient air flow? and is top blow hole a good idea coz it is hard to make it and i am lazy to take everything out to make a blow hole at the top.

Outhouse, so do u think OC is not really a problem with CPU temp64c and PWM53c?

3DFlyer, how about AI7 temp compare to IC7 temp which one is report higher?

Looklike each of u have your own specialization:)

I would try to equalize the amount of air blowing in compared to air blowing out if possible. To me, a top blowhole would be ideal. But, if you don't want to do that right now, then you might experiment with reversing the front fans to make them exhaust, just to see if that helps.

nitalice,
The AI7 I'm not real familiar with. Since I don't have personal experience with it, I would rather reserve comments on it from somebody who has run that particular board. It's better to have actual first hand information on things like this.

ok 3DFlyer it doesnt matter no one perfect if someone know about that please share some ideas about AI7

I have an IC7, an IC7-G, and an AI7. All three of them seem to report CPU temps about the same. In other words, when I put the same CPU and heatsink on all three, the CPU temps are about the same. But, the PWM load temps on the AI7 run higher. I think it's because the mosfets on the AI7 are smaller, so the get hotter.

Back