• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

get a new 3.4 that hit 4GHZ on my AA8XE

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Time4aMassiveOC

got a new 3.4 that hit 4GHZ on my AA8XE, Yeah Baby

heys guys, i just swapped out my 3.4 550 for another one (perks of the job)

the other one my motherboard detected the default vcore as 1.3875

with this new one it is 1.3375

but my 17 multi overclock went up to 4ghz at 1.4625

however i dont know what i like better 4ghz at 235fsb ddr2-626 or
3.9ghz 278fsb with ddr2-741

what would be the best benchmarking programs to test the difference between the two?

oh and ill throw up some screenies.

Last edited:
eh, what do you know, internet dont work , and the dvd roms arnt showing.
im using another computer to access the internet at the moment

guess ya cant just swap out identical speed processors and not reformat or something

but yeah i guess ill just reformat the thing if i cant get these cdroms working

except...i dont see how i can reinstall xp and format and all if i cant get my harddrives to work
kinda a catch 22

im going to try and force them to be master and slave and place them on the cable accordingly. they are probly jumpered to cable select right now.

you shoudn't have to re install windows if you just swapped out cpus. i swap them out all the time. you might want to just clear the cmos on your bios chip.

to benchmark you want to download the usual suspects:

sandra 2005, cpuz, 3dmark03,3dmark05, prime95 ,memtest , etc

Time4massive:

Why so high a voltage, mine is doing fine at 4ghz with 1.425V. 1.38 something standard.

//Christian

eh, well apparently the jumpers on one or the other is messed up i need to put them in correctly. tho i dont know why they would work then suddenly not.
oh well. i unplugged the slave drive and only left in the master and it recognized my dvd rom. next ill try hooking up the slave again but i bet i need to change the jumper. too bad i cant see which is which without takin the dam thing out.

but yeah im totally satified with my new processor

it does 276 at 1.3875 instead of 1.4625 like before.

it wont do 278 anymore no matter what voltage i put to it. but thats because past 276 appartently my videocard doesnt wanna start.

Thats some strange results for you so far.
Mine is a SL7KM, which one is it you have?
Could be the board. (hopefully not).

//Christian

first one was a sl7j8 dunno what this one is..i knew i should have jotted it down when i was cleaning it

too bad this abit board makes you raise the voltage in increments twice the size of asus.

but yeah i dunno, my usb drivers are all screwed, if i cant get it all working right ill probly just reformat, but i think i may not have to

is really not that strange that couldnt hit much higher than 278, a article by toms said this

The P5AD2 could be booted up with 283 MHz max, and the P5GD2 couldn't take more than 280 MHz max - and neither ran particularly stably at these clock speeds. For the benchmarks, we decided to use a 280 MHz clock, which led to a memory clock of 374 MHz, or in other words DDR2 748. This meant that we were just short of the 7000 MB/s border for real memory throughput.

The ATI Radeon X600 (the videocard that i have) that we used does not do justice to the 775 platform, because in the benchmarks, the graphics card is clearly the bottleneck. With a GeForce 6800 GT however, high overclocking results could not be achieved

i was also looking at the benchmarks they have there and they have both my configurations benched , the 4ghz and the 3.9. funny i think this is the first time ive ever seen the lower speed processor win in a cpu benchmark, unless you are talking fx-55
http://www6.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20040719/intel_925xe-16.html#synthetic

but in sandra it loses the cpu bench so...who knows...

I just saw something in your sig. Mine idles at 48-50 and yours at 40. And load sheez its upto 70 under load. Maybe yours a J :)

//Christian

for my temperatures, i subtract 7C so my abit EQ readings are 47-50C idle 64-67C load

why?

"The numbers definitely speak for themselves. The Abit software reported temps anywhere from 10-13 degrees Centigrade high, and the Asus software read anywhere from 5-8 degrees Centigrade low as compared to the digital probe. This is an ongoing study and in part 2 we saw the same consistent results with bios 24, Abit EQ, and a Prescott CPU. Abit EQ reported temps anywhere from 7-11 degrees Centigrade high versus the digital probe."

http://www.bleedinedge.com/reviews/abit_asus_temps/abit_asus_temps_05.html

550J's wont unlock the multiplier so its not that. i dunno, like i said it got up to 4GHZ with 235fsb.

but it wont boot past 276 (278 once with screenshots) on both processors. both with the error of the videocard not wanting to start.

i could swap out my X600 pro all in wonder for a X600XT and see how that works but frankly i like the idea of recording tv. and having all the gadgets, and being able to play my xbox on my computer. so im happy with my speeds till i get some good phase change water cooling

i sure do wish i could hit 4ghz with my 14 multi tho... that would have been nice.

Hope it will be solved, i am waiting for a AW8-Max and the 650 thats coming with the mail, propably it won't come until monday, because of midsummerseve.

//Christian

Any more tests on your rig. :D I had to RMA my AW8-max.. :(
I looked thru Toms Hardwarereview you posted. My C4 handles 4-3-3-9 upto 270@2V after that i have to go 4-4-4-12 up. Maybe i should try to loosen it some more to see if can get it stable over 300+, read some where on this forum that the strangeness disappeared after 301+, don't know until i have water. Don't wanna blow this good 550.

//Christian

yeah, i think i just need better cooling than air too. imma get a phase change setup for fun and see how high i can get this 550. and by the way its not a 550j due to my ability to drop the multipliar.

Back