• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

winamp chock even ideal on pc......is that ram problem??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lightning

Registered
one of my friend complaint that his new athlon 1.4 with KG7-lite motherboard has problem with the ram setting. he said even he didn't do anything on window but just run winamp. the song will lag, or chock. not very smooth. is that something relate to ram setting?? he was using crucial PC2100 256mb ram. i check the bios setting was like the way recomend by the manual book(hey, i'm not very familiar with DDR). the hard drive shouldn't be a problem coz that was quantum AS 20G 7200rpm ATA100. he was using WinMe. could anyone show me the correct way to configure this set up??? is that really a memory problem??

Has he been messing with any of the Winamp settings? I think you can make it so it won't play back smoothly. First thing I'd try (without delving into the memory) is to increase the playback buffer. Hit CTRL+P in winamp and go to the Output section. Mine is set to waveOut. Click configure and increase the buffer by about 2 seconds. See if that helps the playback any.

JigPu

thank for ur input, i try and see.........if it doesn't help, i will come back again and hope other ppl can help me too!! :)

well, it doesn't seem help at all. the winamp still lag after doing those stuff. my friend just icq me that explain again what really happen is that even when he surfing net, the winamp lag too. doing any simple multitasking stuff.....lag......something relate to hard drive??? or memory??

It sounds like a software issue to me. Dont think about the memory, doesnt sound like thats the case. Here is what you should try. Go to the start button, up to run and type in msconfig. For WinME, check selective startup under the general tab. Then uncheck process win.ini. Go to the startup tab and uncheck all but system tray. Then reboot and see if everything runs better, let me know how it works out.

Back