• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Kingston Value -5B G

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

spydeymon

I saw this at my local costco
512 sticks of pc3200 with the -5B G markings on the bottom left for 88 canadian each ? Should i buy like all of them ? :) What kind of clocks do these things do ?

well my current ram wont run 1t over 210 fsb which is driving me nuts it ran great on my nf7 up to 250 thats why i bought some 4000 vx should be here next week

the -5b G's usually do around ddr520, as its the stuff micron uses for the Ballistix stuff. It is the only ram that can do X-2-2 when X<2. it will do 2.5-2-2 at around 250, but its gets REALLY hot even with 2.8-3.0v.

I would be inclined to believe that Micron tests and bins the "G"s and provides Crucial, their retail subsidiary, with the very best of the chips for the Ballistix.

While there are probably good chips that get by, it will be more hit or miss in my opinion.

Its prices low enough to be enticing, however.

Reefa_Madness said:
I would be inclined to believe that Micron tests and bins the "G"s and provides Crucial, their retail subsidiary, with the very best of the chips for the Ballistix.

While there are probably good chips that get by, it will be more hit or miss in my opinion.

Its prices low enough to be enticing, however.

Ahhhh, speed binning is the death of us who want something for nothing! On that note, I'll share a funny story. My PC4000 VX ram is gauranteed to run 250mhz at 2-2-2-8. It runs a maximum clock of 257mhz. My Mushkin Blue is gauranteed to run at 200mhz at 2-3-3-8. It did 265mhz. So, you COULD get lucky. For that price, I would probably pick it up as I think costco has a good return policy if you do not like it. But, Reefa is right....the best chips probably go to the ballistix. What does micron care of other peoples' ram overclocks well or not? :)

-Collin-

im gonna pretty much guarentee that the -5b G's, the best of em, go to ballistix, and the best of those go to the pc4000, and the best of the pc4000 goes to the tracer, but still, if they have the potential to hit pc4000, then they are gonna be pretty decent chips. but warning, they are REALLY hot, like hotter then any chips ive seen. they need airflow on em.

Back