• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

manufacturers force you to have a receipt to get an RMA :(

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Kamel

this sucks, i bought my ram $200 for 1gb geil golden dragon pc4000 ram from an individual off of the net. while he had it, he only did pc3200, so he was unaware that it was not able to go to its SPD of 2.5-7-4-4 @ 250fsb (pc4000, ddr500). i got it to run unstably at 3.2vdimm (!!! well, they wont freaking honor their warranty anyway, might as well violate it) and 250fsb, but i had to relax the timings all the way to 2.5-7-7-11. i inquire about returning the ram, and they absolutely refuse unless i have a receipt.

i really don't think ram theft is that common, i don't see how manufacturers get away with this crap. i personally feel the only reason why they do it is because they don't want to warrant an RMA unless they absolutely have to, so they can sell crap memory for premium prices and not worry about losing any money.

am i totally off base here? or do you all agree that it's rediculous? i'd really like to see some feedback/opinions on this.

Umm, you overclocked it, it's unethical (and very many people on this forum will agree to that) to RMA a product whose warrenty you voided= you don't have a warrenty anyway.

Read the Mushkin warranty, especially with respect to the new Redline series. You have to register the ram.

I have commented on this in several different threads. Over at XS there was a "debate" as to whether the Redlines or the VX was better. I posted that while the Redlines currently seems to be a tad better in overall speed, you buy it new and the resale value is less because it has no warranty to the subsequent buyer. You buy it used and you better be lucky...especially with ram intended to be run at 3.4-3.6v. For that reason alone I would not purchase used Redlines.

I specifically asked OCZ whether they would honor a warranty on a part purchased used and they said that they would. See post #41 in the linked thread.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?p=897820&posted=1#post897820

Many companies have lifetime warranties for the "life of the product". It ends when the product is designated as "EOL" (End of Life). Its life, not your life, is the warranty.

Others will honor the warranty only on the life of the original equipment that it is installed in, not subsequent upgrades.

All of the above should lead you to the conclusion that you need to read the fine print before making the purchase if a warranty is of concern to you.

what the heck are you talking about? it's sold as pc4000 ram. the exact model number is GD4000-1GBDC, it states on the holigraphical sticker on the ram very clearly "PC4000, CL 2.5-7-4-4" setting it to those settings, at 2.7 volts (what it specified on the sticker as well) resulted in a non-working computer. i even lowered the command rate from 1T to 2T, and still no dice.

i do not rma things for things that were my fault, i really don't appreciate the suggestion that i do either. =\

You were using that ram on a board that does not support that RAM, nor is it validated on that board. The cause is not your ram, but rather your chipset. Had you used that ram on a Pentium4 or Athlon64 platform they would be fine. Im sure that they still are.

Sentential said:
You were using that ram on a board that does not support that RAM, nor is it validated on that board. The cause is not your ram, but rather your chipset. Had you used that ram on a Pentium4 or Athlon64 platform they would be fine. Im sure that they still are.
I agree with sent. Most nforce2 mobos will not hit 250fsb.

Sentential said:

what does all of this have to do with the price of tea in china? i thought i would get some knowledgable replies as to why they put restrictions like this on ram, not why it's my fault that the ram they made sucks.

the ram was made before amd64's were even out, so i really don't see how it could have been designed for them.

edit: if this is an issue of wether or not my other components can hit 250fsb, they can. with my bh-5 kingston hyperx ram i ran over 32 passes successfully at 250fsb of memtest86, and 8+ hours of prime95 without a single error.

http://www.geilusa.com/proddetail.asp?linenumber=31

"And because of its low electro-magnetic noise (EMC), when equipped, the computer receives higher system-wide stability and greater over-clocking potential."

It looks like they encourage overclocking...just not warranted.

While optimized for 865/875, there is no mention of NF2 (nor A64), either as being compatible or not.

Edit:

Its not your equipment. I can provide numerous links to reviews that obtained crappy results with GEIL ram. It ranks very low in my opinion and the only set that I've got is a poor performer and it uses BH6 chips.

Edit #2:

I guess Sen thinks that his old NF-7 was the only NF2 mobo capable of 250? Come on guys, there are many, many DFI NF2 boards that broke 250.

Last edited:
that's like saying i'm going to buy an xp3200 processor, and it has the potential to be an xp3200, but it may just be a xp2500. i don't buy that crap, if someone is going to sell something as pc4000, it should be pc4000.

regardless though, this isn't the first time i've run into this barrier, i had to rma a motherboard one time and they refused to do it without a proof of purchase. thankfully i remembered i purchased an extended warranty with newegg and newegg replaced it for me hassle free.

i really was honestly curious why they force you to supply them with a proof of purchase. i thought maybe it was theft, but is there any other reasons?

It is to control / limit their warranty exposure. Plain and simple.

OCZ and a few others build this cost into their pricing structure and while you pay for it up front, you get a genuine warranty. Others try to make it appear as if they have the same warranty, but in fact have provisions to limit their liability to a relatively set time (again...EOL type provisions).

That's why you buy OCZ. AFAIK, every other RAM company other than OCZ have rules that sometimes really suck. For example, the EoL thing, original owner, proof of purchase, etc. OCZ knows we will overclock, and resell RAM, and if it breaks they will stand behind it.

We also replace any EOL ram that comes in for a warranty claim with a new product if our RMA reserve of the sticks has run out. And yes we do build our ram to be overclocked. You can't really damage ram by overclocking it....its overvolting and not properly cooling the ram that causes problems

I had a similar problem with Geil. I had some of their regular Ultra series pc4000. Unfotunately, they only warranty the ram to the original purchaser. IF you were the original purchaser, then receipt would not really matter. I don't think they can require you to have a receipt. If I were you, and I know some will disagree, but you should treat a crummy company with the same respect they are treating you. I would get in their face, say it was a gift, and demand a replacement for this obviously faulty ram. I don't buy into the fact that its your chipset. or other hardware. If there is ANY nf2 board that's going to do 250, it's yours. Geil makes me angry. I have read numerous complaints about their ram not doing what it was advertised to. Best of luck.

-Collin-

yea, that's a good point ninja... it's kinda sad that companies are like that though.

as far as overvolting goes though, i _always_ have active cooling on my ram, i think it's dumb not to. even running default clocks and default volts i would have active cooling on my ram, because cool ram is happy ram, lol.

I've used my ebay.com email printout as a receipt to RMA stuff. It was to Abit, though, and they have a great RMA policy. Did Geil say you had to be the original buyer?

no, they just said a receipt...

it was a straight deal with cash in the mail with someone on the forums, so there's really no paper record of it :(

edit: i ask the guy i bought it off of for the receipt and he had bought it from a local friend of his actually, lol... he bought it from newegg though. it should be pretty easy for him to print up the receipt though o_O.

oh well, i've found that people don't like dealing with you after a trade is finished online. i can't really blame them i guess, it isn't their stuff that's messing up =\

As far as I know, currently, OCZ is the only company that warrants the ram, not the user. Like SteveOCZ has mentioned, it doesn't matter if you're the first user or the 10th user, the ram is still full warranty. Corsair USED to have this warranty policy when I was considering buying Corsair ram from a forum member (about 3 years ago), but at some point in the last 2 years, they changed. If you go to their main warranty page, it now clearly states that they only warrant the original user. Mushkin has always only warranted the original user afaik.

now they aren't even responding to my e-mails... i guess i've learned a lesson in all of this. absolutely rediculous that companies can be so deceiving and get away with it.

Well the seller did tell you they only did PC3200 speeds before you brought it? So you need to check up on company RMA policy before completing a private trade 8)

But yea sounds crap, <3 to OCZ!

~t0m

Back