• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would this be stupidity/insanity/a good idea?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lupine

I was just curious, if you started with 2 gigs of ram or so, pronounced 1.5g of it a RAM drive, and put something like CS on there, would it help gameplay any?

idle musings. . .

Yes, it would help any place that required loading from the HD. I know because I have done this with a MAC a couple years ago setting up telephony software for a guy. By putting the script and resources on a ramdrive (which is much more common on macs) there was no harddrive access so the computer could sleep (the main goal) but also it was 4x faster between scripts.

Some guy did something like that with a Quake3 Demo or something. Basically it sped up his load times significantly so he was able to get into the world faster then others and have the advantage. I wish I could do that with Everquest.

Just be sure to leave enough RAM for your game.... But 500Mb of RAM sounds like enough for anything to me!

Good luck!
JigPu

typhoonmike said:
Some guy did something like that with a Quake3 Demo or something. Basically it sped up his load times significantly so he was able to get into the world faster then others and have the advantage. I wish I could do that with Everquest.

lol...just buy more RAM. I know for a fact huge amounts of RAM helps in DAoC (EQ wannabe to be released this week). It takes me about 6 seconds to load a level :) ( and the levels are huge!! )

Back