• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

installed new bios for asus mobo....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

geestring

I installed an updated version of the bios... when i bootup the mobo beeps and says Overclock failed... press f1 to enter setup or f2 to set to default and resume

I reset my overclocks to the same settings as before .... same problem at bootup... I put everything in the bios to default- no overclock... same problem..

Another problem with the new bios is that the computer does not restart... the computer has to be shutdown then turned on again for some reason.

It says i have to use a Asus Dos utility to reinstall my old bios... I dont have a floppy drive... any other way?

usb works....

but onboard ethernet isnt showing...

I think i updated bios without resetting my overclocking in the bios...
that must have screwed things up... solutions?

Clear CMOS, update bios with the older bios and check if all is working as usual, then update to newer.

//Christian

thank you for answering my prayers.....

clear cmos by setting the cmos jumper on the mobo to clear?
Does that bios guide sticky work with using a cd instead of floppy?

Will the computer not work with a cleared cmos until i install a bios?

I usually put the jumper on CLEAR, then push the POWER ON, then OFF. After that reseat the jumper where it was from the beginning.
Load windows update bios. Restart. etc. :D

//Christian

o, i can still bootup to windows after a cmos reset? So i can just use WinFlash or whatever to update bios.... when it ried to flash my old bios from the new bios it said i could only do that in dos....

but i guess its different, my old bios is newer then the reset so it may be possible now

clearing the CMOS only rests the BIOS setting to default

once you do that, reflash your bios with an older bios - enter the bios screen and set it yo default: and then reboot

then enter in and make changes you want.

by default do you mean it will bethe bios that came with the board... or just sets the bios i alrdy installed to default settings....

i can only use winFlash if im installing a newer bios over the one i have....

i dont have a floppy drive so i cant do it the dos way.

yea they a have single .rom file with no installer... im assuming asus's installer is called Afudos

Ok, I put the cmos thing to CLear... then remove the peg and it automatically starts the computer... then i immediately shut it off.. insert back to normal and manually turn on...

I get new error msg... New CPU found etc... f1 to setup and f2 to proceed with defaults... i go to bios and try to bootup to CD but the computer doesnt retstart and the same thing happens as beforre... I start the computer it says overclock failed.. etc... wont save any bios settings...

I think i updated bios without resetting my overclocking in the bios...
that must have screwed things up... solutions?

I have updated that mobo about 10 times without resetting my overclocks and never had a problem.

Question can you still get into windows?

Last edited:
geestring said:
Ok, I put the cmos thing to Clear... then remove the peg and it automatically starts the computer... then i immediately shut it off.. insert back to normal and manually turn on...

I get new error msg... New CPU found etc... f1 to setup and f2 to proceed with defaults... i go to bios and try to bootup to CD but the computer doesnt retstart and the same thing happens as beforre... I start the computer it says overclock failed.. etc... wont save any bios settings...
I'm having the same problem with an ASUS P4P800-X. Bought it yesterday for a friend and it won't save. Taking it back for a P4P800-SE today. I did both windows bios flash to new and beta, back to afudos to bring th beta back to the latest bios. Nothing changed. Also, on the boot, the startup screen is misspelled :)

EDIT: Just came back from the store. I'm not the only one that has had this problem with this mobo. The shop says they have seen this before with this mobo.

R

When you clear a CMOS ..Unplug PSU from wall ..Do NOT power system on ..

Yes you can use a CD to boot and use a cd to flash from ..The computer just needs a path to the flash program and file.

ok ill unplug the p[ower this time...

Since the computer takes two tries to bootup... it means that you cannot boot from cd or floppy... because when you save setting in bios is requires restart...

unless I unplug all the harad drives and it'll eventually boot up cd? but i get the "overclocked fail" before anything bootsup...

Back