• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need Upgrade...But Which Way to Go?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Z-95

Registered
Hey all. Right now I have 2 512 sticks of Corsair XMS PC4000PRO (Hynix D5) in my system. I would really like to get 2GB, as Battlefield 2 runs choppy when other stuff is running. However, I am not sure which way to go. Here are the possible scenarios:

1. Get 2 more 512 sticks and have 4 512 sticks (maybe some OCZ plat rev 2?)
2. Sell my Corsair and get 2 1GB sticks (which gig sticks are good?)
3. Sell my Corsair and get 4 512 sticks (maybe some OCZ plat rev 2)

I moderately overclock my machine (right now at 220 fsb) so would 2 gig sticks or 4 512 sticks be better? Any other advice? Thanks!

i would just get 2 more 512 sticks of the hynix d5.. thats probably the cheapest and best way to go especially if ur only ocing a little

The only problem with that is the Hynix D5 is expensive. Another 2 sticks of what I have now is $270. Whereas 2 1GB sticks of OCZ Platinum (with much better latencys) is $260. And 4 512 sticks of OCZ plat rev 2 is $348, which would make a good deal depending on how much I could get for my Corsairs.

I didn't know about the price differential. I guess it's up to how much hassle you want to go through selling the older ram. Good luck.

True. Anyone know what is better stability wise for 2x1Gb vs 4x512MB? I know 4 sticks will generate more heat than 2 (or should, depends on chips), but as far as stability, are 2 sticks better than 4?

Here is a link to some D5 for a $170.00US. Thats where mine came from and as my sig shows its pretty good. :) It may be on backorder at the moment but give them a ring and they might be getting some more in soon.

Back