• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

How I mounted a s478 block on LGA775

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

busta`

Well let me start off by saying, I am in no terms above the status of a complete watercooling noob. I guess do to financial reasons, I have never gotten around to upgrading my old Thermaltake Aquarius 2 watercooling kit. Now, while some of you may scoff, point fingers and laugh, it has served me well over a year and a half now.

Anyway, here came the dilema. The waterblock that came with the TtA2 kit was made for s478 and whatever AMD sockets were out at the time, because LGA775 was yet to be released. Much to my suprise, as I'm sure many people by now have figured out, the mounting hole arrangement on the socket is an 80mm square. I was brain-storming methods of mounting the block while staring at a fan-grill I had on my table for about 5 minutes before I finally picked it up to see if it would fit, and it did. So, I took 4 bolts, ran them through the LGA775 bracket that my ZALMAN heatsink came with at the bottom of the board, and I used nuts to supress them firmly against the board so that they would not move around. I then proceeded to placing the block firmly against the board and I placed the fangrill ontop. Originally, the fangrill was not supply enough pressure on the block, so I cut 2 symmetrical pieces of the grill off so that the center circle could be pressed down, which when placed over the block would apply an aquedate amount of pressure to secure it in place. After that, I used 4 more nuts to hold down the grill, and viola, the block was securely in place and is held down tighter than a retail mounting bracket.

Results? Not too impressive to say the least temp wise, but it did allow me to hit a rock-solid 4.1GHz (256x16) on my P4 640 (3.2GHz) processor, when before I couldn't even boot a single MHz above 250FSB. The temps are 38°c idle and 50°c at maximum load, tested with 2 instances of Prime95 running. Better than my ZALMAN 7700CU to say the least.

Back of the mobo

Block mounted and running

Cool case angle

Case side

CPU-Z 4,100MHz

If you read through my whole thread and you found that you were disappointed, for this I do apologize. I can only hope that my method of mounting on this specific board can spark ideas for others in a similar situation, and even though my watercooling system is a joke compared to others here, it gets the job done. Thanks for looking :)

That’s a pretty resourceful way to mount your block. It looks better than I initially thought when reading the story.

Nice work!

What Vcore are you at?

The 640 will not start to throttle till you get to 60C so try a little more Vcore, it should run 4.2-4.25G at 1.6V

That's pretty cool, looks nice actually. I have a similar egineering feet as in I mounted my WhiteWater with a P4 s478 mounting kit on to my A64 board and chip. I was not dissapointed at all by your post. :clap:

Thanks for the comments guys! I really do appreciate it :)

fordf250 said:
Nice work!

What Vcore are you at?

The 640 will not start to throttle till you get to 60C so try a little more Vcore, it should run 4.2-4.25G at 1.6V

I am at 1.45v in the BIOS. My board (ASUS P5AD2-E Premium) has the VDroop problem which I haven't gotten around to fixing yet, so while at load the VCore is about 1.4v.

Dude thats one of the more original things I've seen!
Nice work!
I made my D-Tek WW to fit S939 by building a hold down plate from plaxiglass, the loop is still in the garage leak testing.

maybe you can get longer screws and hook a fan to the screw/rods and have it pull the hot air from around the block, may provide better results. or blow onto the block. and just get a very slow speed one, maybe under 1000rpm's for noise reasons.

just my 2¢

but it doesnt look pretty nice, GJ!

Back