• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help! - GA-8184P-G Beep error codes

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Selvarin

Hello, the motherboard on my parents' PC just went dead recently. I rush-ordered a Gigabyte board to replace it, after installing everything I flipped it on and...the PSU runs, but the board itself beeps continuously. Continuous, short beeps. The manual that came with it provides NOTHING about the beep error codes, likewise the website they have is awful when it comes to getting the info I need. I saw somewhere that on an Abit board using Award Bios that has the same beep could be related to the power supply. The power supply itself is just a few months old, and in any case I'd like to hear form the experts on this. What does it truly suggest to you?

By the way, I went through the process of removing RAM, AGP card, etc., and testing it without 'em. Same continuous short beeps.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Update: I thought I had it licked last night when I switched RAM on it. It stopped beeping thereafter. Unfortunately when I started it up this morning and tried to start an install it wasn't working right. After switching a few more things the beeps came back and it wouldn't stop. In frustration I went and purchased an Abit AI7 motherboard, which has an LCD that displays an error code that can be looked up in the manual that came with it. I hope for the best, wish every board had this on 'em.

the giga-byte manuels do come with award beep codes. its towards the end of the manual in the troubleshooting section. short continuous beeps means there is a power error (as what the manual says), but i have found that they mean a memory error as well, such as wrong timings. check both of them as it maybe a problem that your timings are wrong and/or the power is not correct.

reset the cmos, then try to boot. if it doesnt work, then there is a power error. hope that helps.

btw, :welcome: to the forums.

Back