• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

OCZ Platinum PC3200 2x512 Kit questions!!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ROH

Ok, I have a new set of this OCZ Platinum ram.

It's timings are set for 2,2,2,5 1T @ 200Mhz with a max voltage of 2.9 under warranty.

Now I'm getting a DFI Lanparty NF4 Ultra-D board in the mail sometime next week! Just wondering if anyone might have some suggestions as to settings to use and maybe what type of performance I can hope to get out of these!

From what I've heard the max Voltage of 2.9 is basically the most I want to push these anyways. I also believe these are TCCD (correct me if I'm wrong).

Now my big worry is that in my current MSI Neo2 Plat. I'm getting dismal overclocks with this ram! I have run it using an OCZ booster up to the 2.9 threshold and I max at 235 @ 3,3,3,8 1T. I max at 235 even if I drop my memory speed down to 166.

I'm running a 3000+ Winchester 939 CPU. if that helps. Keep hearing rumour that the Winchester has a really picky memory controller. Will my new Venice core have better memory handling capabilities?

Hints and tips will be cherished. :) Please note I'm doing everything I can to find out as much about my motherboard settings etc as I can. So I'm hoping to not drop into it noob style. :) But I figured since its ram settings and ram issues I'd post around in here before pestering the MB people! :)

These last two boards are my first walk off the ASUS MB path and so far the MSI has been a rather foot bruising experience. Fingers crossed for the DFI. hehe!

O.

there are a couple kind of ocz platinum. the el rev2 platinum is the fast stuff (tccd/tcc5 chips). if you purchased the regular platinum/pc3200, ur o"kloks are about right.

I have OCZ El Plat Rev 2 as you can see in my sig. I havent overclocked them yet, but they are blazing fast, and I am getting excellent preformance, I recommend them, but they are fairly expensive.

Yeah, as flapper said, your memory could have TCCD or TCC5 chips. Just look on the sticker on the heatspreader and if you see a very small v1.1 on there then it is TCC5 chips, if you do not see the small v1.1 on the sticker, then you should have traditional TCCD chips under the heatspreader.

As for settings, people have had mixed results running higher voltage on the TCCD's so you should actually try dropping the voltage a little to see if that helps at all. You may actually be giving them TOO MUCH voltage. It may just be your board too, but that board has been known to get very good clocks too so its hard to say.

Try timings of 2.5-3-3-10 with like 2.7v or 2.8v and see how that does. Use memtest86+ for your primary memory stability testing and then use Prime95, SuperPI, and 3DMark tests for further stability testing for the entire system.

You should also check out this sticky in the DFI motherboard section:
http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=379317

Ok, I popped one out and took a look and this is what I have.

PC 3200 EL Dual CH Platinum Rev 2 2-2-2-5 (with an very small v1.1 to the right of the timings) So, that should mean I have TCC5 chips. Correct?

So based on that, should I be getting higher clocks with these chips then the 235 that I was getting? Hopefully at lower timings as well. At stock speeds and with the tight timings this ram IS very fast, in fact I was surprised that at its defaults it was so quick it was running almost as nicely as my Corsair TWINX TCCD ram that suddenly decided to stop working, I had it running at a nice 272 with 2.5,4,4,7 settings. @ 2.9V

How much of a limiting factor is the Manchester memory controller when it comes to overclocking? Should I even consider it a possibility?

Regarding this current MSI Neo2 (My second one in as many weeks) I'm not even overclocking on it since I can't get the HTT past 210 with any settings for memory or otherwise without it failing to post. It was supposed to fix my video card problems I was having and instead it added overclock issues to the mess. :p So currently the current MSI and the VIDEO card are on their way back to the store while my DFI and the new video card and the Venice core are on their way. Fingers crossed. :p

Some more info on my system....I'm running all this in a ThermalRock Circle case that uses a BTX layout which basically flips my MB upside-down putting my cpu and ram in a nice direct wind tunnel with a 120mm intake fan at the front and another 120mm exhaust fan at the rear. Also lifts my power supply, HD's and CD-rom drives up high and uses the PSU to exhaust the heat from them. Antec TruePower 550 is my power plant.

I'm using a ZALMAN CNPS7000-CU Heatsink in this setup, which has been giving me good temps. I’m getting idle temps of 29 and full load of 45.

Hmm...I know I'm kind of flopping around all over the place here, but I'm just trying to give some background..sorry I'll shut up now. :)

O.

They are warrantied up to 3v.

Rev 2 stuff flies. I have had numerous sets that ran well over 270+ mhz.

you have the tcc5 chips on those wich is good imo.
ive been stuck at 255fsb and under due to something i havent figured out.this happened to some tccd pqi i own.

but anyhow my tcc5 loves voltage and ive had it upto 236 2.0-2-2-5 3.06vdimm.

most times as your suspecting its not the rams fault when its only reaching low fsb.can be cpu mem controller or the mobo itself.

im still trying to work mine out as im buying a new cpu and see it is whats holding me back as im doubting its the mobo or the ram has topped.
this memory has been seen at 370fsb 1:1 and most times over 300fsb so its good stuff.

Hey guys, I had to RMA my OCZ Gold so on my way home I stopped off at PC Club and picked up some OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K which I really didnt know much about. I just needed something for cheap to get me through. Anyway, I was running them at what OCZ says 2.9v 2-3-2-5 at 200MHz with the 133 divider so it was actually 208MHz. So I decided to do some research on these chip just to see what kind they were. On techpowerup there is a good Memory Database
http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/ it says that these may come with Winbond CH-5
Samsung TCB3
Mosel Vitelic 5ns
ProMOS 5ns

Well I took the heatspreader off and they are CH-5 and they are running just as fast as my Gold BH-5

Attachments

• OCZ Chips.jpg
    OCZ Chips.jpg
    13.9 KB · Views: 168
njkid32 said:
Hey guys, I had to RMA my OCZ Gold so on my way home I stopped off at PC Club and picked up some OCZ4001024ELDCPE-K which I really didnt know much about. I just needed something for cheap to get me through. Anyway, I was running them at what OCZ says 2.9v 2-3-2-5 at 200MHz with the 133 divider so it was actually 208MHz. So I decided to do some research on these chip just to see what kind they were. On techpowerup there is a good Memory Database
http://www.techpowerup.com/memdb/ it says that these may come with Winbond CH-5
Samsung TCB3
Mosel Vitelic 5ns
ProMOS 5ns

Well I took the heatspreader off and they are CH-5 and they are running just as fast as my Gold BH-5
Wow, nice OC! What voltage are you pumping through those for that kind of speed/timings? I'm about 99% sure my RAM is CH-5 but I have no way to give it more than 2.9v :(

Thankx gvblake22, I am running 3.4v thats all I need to do to get my oc they are running exactly what my OCZ Golds were doing but the Golds were doing 2-2-2-10 and no less and these are doing 2-2-2-6. I did a burnin last night at those speeds but I havent tried to lower the voltage yes. If you have CH-5 all you need to do is give em some volts and they will respond! Just like mine did. I just hope I dont fry em. I did order some Mushkin XP4000 that should be here on Tuesday though.

updated sig.......>>>>

njkid32 said:
Thankx gvblake22, I am running 3.4v thats all I need to do to get my oc they are running exactly what my OCZ Golds were doing but the Golds were doing 2-2-2-10 and no less and these are doing 2-2-2-6. I did a burnin last night at those speeds but I havent tried to lower the voltage yes. If you have CH-5 all you need to do is give em some volts and they will respond! Just like mine did. I just hope I dont fry em. I did order some Mushkin XP4000 that should be here on Tuesday though.

updated sig.......>>>>
You should rig up some active cooling on those things! I bet that would actually help. I'd say anything above 3.2-3.4v should use a little active cooling.
Well, like I said before my motherboard only goes up to 2.9v and I don't have a DDR booster. I will probably be selling them off pretty soon so maybe someone with a DDR booster or a DFI board can get some good speeds out of them :)

Yeah I have the same cooling like I had with my OCZ Golds 2 80mm fans work really good. I say hold on to the ram you can always use it later. Maybe you can buy a booster or even a DFI mobo.

Attachments

• NjkidRig.jpg
    NjkidRig.jpg
    51.2 KB · Views: 142
  • NjkidRig2.jpg
    NjkidRig2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 119
Back