• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What are the best 2GB (2x1GB) sticks?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
deathstar13 said:

I'm with you on this one. I too will highly recommend the Ballistix 1GB memory modules. 500MHz CL3 4-4-8-1T is more than enough to satisfy the people who want 1GB modules and still have room for overclocking.

OC-Master

im gonna do more research on thse value pc3200 crucial sticks.
the initial results ive seen look almost as good as the pc4000 ballistix but $70 or so cheaper.should be same chips id bet just less testing.
my thinking on this goes like this.
i want 2gb of ram,and need it. but all my sticks i own are 512's and i can only run 2 at a time without loosing 1T or it just acts wierd.my mobo is single channel so i dont loose that anyhow.
but if you watch the front page and ED's wonder disk http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=390236 should be coming out soon.i too have been waiting forever for something like this.
so ill need some 1gb sticks anyhow! so they wont go unused or make me feel i waisted my money.sure i can save $20 and get some cheaper sticks but if these oc like the ballistix its a great deal for someone who will need to buy 1gb sticks anyhow.

now i just need to figure out how im gonna pay for em :(

Otter said:
Why do you say that? I've seached but found very little on these. Do you have some links?
not much other than what ive linked.was a thread at futuremark forums but its now gone.it was reported to have them at 300fsb 1;1 but i cant find it.
but its guarenteed 250fsb from the get-go.
and anyone elses 1gb sticks have been lucky to pass 220fsb.

DDR-PIII-look into the ocz value vx pc3200 line wich uses winbond utt bh-5
needs high voltage to run high fsb but will run 2.0-2-2-5 200 at 2.6-2.7v usually.

i dont really need to oc it much past what its rated, i just need to get to ddr 400 and im cool, im trying to get 1gb as well, all in the while not trying to spend to much money :)

deathstar13 said:
not much other than what ive linked.was a thread at futuremark forums but its now gone.it was reported to have them at 300fsb 1;1 but i cant find it.
Yeah, I followed some links to that thread, but it was gone already. I wonder why. The only other results I saw weren't nearly as impressive.
but its guarenteed 250fsb from the get-go.
and anyone elses 1gb sticks have been lucky to pass 220fsb.
What I'd like to know is how fast it will go with tight timings. So far, I've seen one person say it would do 2.5-2-2, but only at 200MHz. (Without some confirmation, I'm not counting the guy who says he could do 260 at those timings.)

dont think we will see much on these sticks until someone plops the cash down personally.
most people arent interested in 1gb sticks and if they are they generaly dont oc.

im still trying to find a way to fit these into my budget for this weeks newegg order.
i guess if they suck i could just send them back and pay the restocking fee.

2x1GB Ballistix would have to have amazing performance to be worth $400 (to me, at least). The crucial value 1gb sticks are interesting, though. If they can really do 2.5-2-2-x-1t @ 200MHz, that makes them competititve in both price and performance with 4x512MB cheap UTT at 2-2-2-x-2t at around 240MHz.

That's attractive to me because I can imagine wanting more than 2GB before I switch to DRR2. I wonder about running that much unbuffered RAM, though. Isn't the recommendation to use registered RAM if you're going to have 1GB or more?

Why spend so much on RAM? Just buy 2GB of RAM for ~$160 and you will lose absolutely no real-world performance.

BrutalDrew said:
Why spend so much on RAM? Just buy 2GB of RAM for ~$160 and you will lose absolutely no real-world performance.
um yeh you do.most 1gb sticks wont oc worth crap.and there is a real world differance when running 250fsb compared to 200.

$210 vs $380 is alot to pay just for hand testing.i highley doubt they are just specially made sticks for that line but just normal pc3200 hand tested and picked.
its just the game of ocing i guess,getting more than you pay for if you are a lucky person.people unlucky and with little time should stick to the tested stuff and save headaches,while id rather save money and take my chances.

btw newegg has em back in stock.

Don't forget though, on A64 using dividers and stuff doesn't hurt performance too badly

Audioaficionado said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16820146970

See my sig for great performance tighter than SPD and only $215 for a 2GB kit. My memory is good to DDR490 but my MCH is limited to 220fsb :(

What's so great about 3-4-4-8 @ $370 ?
you did 245 with the ocz? what timings? btw did you test it in other rigs? i think i can max anything out with my mobo and a new DTR im getting so i want the best but cheap at the same time.
the $380 stuff has been mentioned doing 300 loose but ive been reading the value version doing 250-270 loose also.
id much rather buy ocz but i have a wierd feeling about these crucial sticks.
im ordering stix on friday come hell or high water.i have the $$$ now so im set.im still keeping my ocz tcc5 tho as its just too impresive to sell.

I couldn't get Memtest to pass test 5 @ 225 so my MCH had pooped out. Test 8 was perfect @ 225. There are links at the OCZ site where reviewers are getting that speed from single processor systems @ 3-3-3-8. These sticks are going in any new system I build from now on. My DH800 was stable before but now it's even more so after I put this OCZ in it. I could never OC past 3200 and not have issues with FAH. Now I'm doing 220 at below SPD and if my i875P MHC wasn't so slow I becha I could have held 2.5-3-3-8 past 225, maybe to 230. I'd get another pair now but too many Dr bills to catch up on :(

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr_pc_3200_2gb_dual_channel

Back