• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ever use ice cooler for water cooling system?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

4GHZ_or_bust

Now 6GHz or Bust!
At a restaurant I used to work for they had a huge ice cooler that was running 24/7 and they have a drain on the bottom to bleed melted ice. A thought occured to me, who not feed that drain through the CPU block (with a pump) before wasting the water in the drain? The water would be near zero C (near 32F) and would cool all but the most extreme OCed CPU.
The only problem I could see is the sypply of cold water could run out when the machine hasn't been used for a while (ie overnight when restaurant closed)

You'd probably find out, your water supply isn't that fast. I've seen the water line coming from an ice maker, and it is just a trickle.

(This has gotten me thinking, what about putting the radiator in that walk-in freezer, at work. Running pipe the 5 miles, might be a wee bit pricey. :D)

steve

heh and at 5 miles, it won't be cool in the end unless you insulate and bury the line the whole 5 miles. Plus you'd need to keep the pump running 24/7 in winter or it'd freeze solid.

4GHZ_or_bust said:
Plus you'd need to keep the pump running 24/7 in winter or it'd freeze solid.

In Arizona? You must be kidding. :D

But, digging a tunnel under 4 major roads, and a freeway, as well as a canal, just might be expensive. :bang head :D

steve

im pretty sure that idea has been debunked several times over. the heat from a computer is a little too much for a little fridge. however, the cheap watercooler chiller mods are showing some promise. cold cold water for under $100

flamerail said:
Why not buy a mini fridge drill 2 holes in the side stick the core in there?
That would work extremly well... stick some antifreeze into it thoe.
not quite as well as you'd think. them small fridges cant take the heat. also, drilling into one the wrong way could bust the cooling lines.
best water-chilling method is to get an AC unit and make the res of the WC loop around the evaporator of the AC unit.

didn't really read any of this,

but what about putting the rad in your mini fridge.. JUST the rad.

Like cut a hole in the front door, and make sure you seal it with like, caulk or something like that. or a rubber thing would do.

thats precicesly our point. the heat coming off the rad is too much for those little fridges. just not made for it.

A mini fridge doesn't actually spend much time cooling something down.
You put a can of drink in the fridge, and it is about 20celcius, and the fridge has to get it down to, say, 5celcius, and then keep it there. It takes an hour easily to do this properly. A processor will be heating the water up to 30/40 celcius maybe, and the fridge has very little time to cool any one molecule of water before it gets back round to the waterblock to get heated up again. It has, unfortunately, been disproven many a time...unless of course anyone knows a way to overclock a minifridge? ;)

Back