• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

is this watercooling setup ok?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gram_vaz

first time watercooling. i want as cheap and silent as possible. is this setup ok and compatible with socket a nf7-s rev.2? i have a thermaltake XaserV case.

cpu block: Thermaltake 208 Copper CPU Waterblock (CL-W0010) - 1/2" & 3/8" & 1/4" ID Fittings

pump: Hydor SELTZ L 25 Water Pump (265 GPH)

radiator: Danger Den Black Ice Micro 80mm Radiator (Black) w/ Customizable Fittings

reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-525™ "BAY RES" 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Super low Price)

tubing: 1/2" ID PVC Clear Tubing (how much of this do i need?)

clamp: 1/2" ID Reusable Clamp (how many of these do i need?)

fluid: Asetek WaterChill Anti Algae Fluid w/ WaterWetter - 10ml (03-L-2003)

want to order all the parts from frozencpu.com so that i won't spend lots of money on shipping ordering from different places.

anything i'm missing or anything i can do without? this is to watercool my cpu but i also want to leave the option open to watercool my gpu in the future.

Last edited:
gram_vaz said:
first time watercooling. i want as cheap and silent as possible. is this setup ok and compatible with socket a nf7-s rev.2? i have a thermaltake XaserV case.

cpu block: Thermaltake 208 Copper CPU Waterblock (CL-W0010) - 1/2" & 3/8" & 1/4" ID Fittings

pump: Hydor SELTZ L 25 Water Pump (265 GPH)

radiator: Danger Den Black Ice Micro 80mm Radiator (Black) w/ Customizable Fittings

reservoir: Swiftech MCRES-525™ "BAY RES" 5.25" Bay Reservoir (Super low Price)

tubing: 1/2" ID PVC Clear Tubing (how much of this do i need?)

clamp: 1/2" ID Reusable Clamp (how many of these do i need?)

fluid: Asetek WaterChill Anti Algae Fluid w/ WaterWetter - 10ml (03-L-2003)

want to order all the parts from frozencpu.com so that i won't spend lots of money on shipping ordering from different places.

anything i'm missing or anything i can do without? this is to watercool my cpu but i also want to leave the option open to watercool my gpu in the future.
i wouldnt use the water wetter, i believe it will leave a residue on stuff.
make sure you get clearflex or tygon tubing.

If your gonna go for more blocks in the future then you should get a bigger radiator. A dual 120mm heatercore or even a black ice micro dual 80mm if your space limited. I would also go for the TDX water block as it's cheaper and will outperform the coolance block easily. Also consider going with a bigger pump if you plan on running more than one water block in the future. You won't need the water wetter just ad a small amount of antifreeze (about 10%) to your water and you'll be fine. You can get the exact same tubing from home depot for about $.50 a foot, I'd recomend using the 1/2" by 3/4" it takes bends much better than the 5/8" stuff. It won't kink like the thinner stuff will. You can also get your clamps from home depot or your local auto parts store.

I'd go with the largest radiator your case will handle, at least a BIX, if not a BIX2.
The rad is probably the most difficult of all the components to mount, so you might as well leave yourself some cooling headroom by using a bigger rad and only mount it once.
Weapon's heatercores are an amazing deal, but may require more extensive cutting to fit your case.

Your current choice of the 80mm fan radiator makes getting good temps with low noise kinda tough.

using 10% antifreeze over watter wetter will definately cost a few degrees. water wetter doesnt leave a residue, all it technicaly does is stain the tubing. if u plan to use a dye in your loop, it wont matter anyway, as the dye will also stain the tubing somewhat. water wetter isnt bad like many people will have u believe, its actually a wonderful thing imo. it does stink, but that dont matter in a closed loop.

aside from it turning your water a dirty color and stain the tubing (which, again, doesnt matter in the presence of dye) and it stinking, theres nothing bad about it. it reduces surface tension of the water and helps out a bit. i went from 10% andifreeze to 100% distilled with a few caps of water wetter and shaved off almost 5º.

just some thoughts...

i recommend hy-per super coolant, great temps and no residue, mix it w/ distilled water (1/4 cup for every 4 cups) and it only cost me about 4 bucks total

rhino56 said:
i wouldnt use the water wetter, i believe it will leave a residue on stuff.

I didn't notice any residue when I used it, but it did stain my thick-walled tygon half through with a sickly pink tinge that I came to hate very quickly. As for it's "wetting" properties, water with a corrected pH is just as good and without a bunch of additives that offer very little to a coolants usability in a water-cooling loop.

Simply put, there are better things, even if they are more expensive. ;)

I personally don't recommand that you use that CPU block as i am using one just like it. It's the same one that Thermaltake is using with it's BigWater set.
Link: http://www.thermaltake.com/watercooling/cl-w0005bigwater/cl-w0005.htm

After using it for about 1 week, there was a hair line crack where the metal screw and the plastic meets. I personally believe that metal and plastic don't really go well together.

I would suggest going for the SwiftTech MCW6002 (http://www.swiftnets.com/). Well, the rest of your guys can correct me if i'm wrong.

Just my point of view and i'm no pro at this at all.

Daaaamn frozencpu is expensive... I know you want to order from only one place, I did too at a point. Then I realized how I could get better parts for cheaper if I buy from multiple stores.

whozyodaddy said:
Daaaamn frozencpu is expensive... I know you want to order from only one place, I did too at a point. Then I realized how I could get better parts for cheaper if I buy from multiple stores.

This trick doesn't work in all cases. Depending on how many things you're buying, it's easy to get punked on shipping. FCPU does one thing pretty well compared to other places I've shopped, they ship when they say they're going to ship. They stalled me once out of almost 2-years of ordering, and that was to sleeve a PSU, for free. If I want something fast and without the BS I order from them.

Last edited:
Back