• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Placement watercooling in case?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

mort

So I'm putting together a new system and monday the watercooling kit will arrive. Yes I know, a kit...sue me ;).
It's going to be the Alphacool High End Set Ice 12V. Which consists out of the following:

RAD - Alphacool NexXxoS Xtreme II (24cm)
CPU - Alphacool NexXxoS HP Pro AMD 64
PUMP - Alphacool AP900 12Volt
Some papst fans, hoses etc. you know the drill.

So I was wondering what a good placement in my case is.
It's an 'old' Addtronics 7896A. I made a diagram of placement of fans which all will run slowly since I dislike loud systems.

caseopzet.gif

Can the pump do its work in this placement? Since usually I see systems with the pump on the ground. Tnx for the feedback.

i dont see any problem with that. since its a closed loop, gravity plays its part, and the pump can theoretically be placed anywhere. fans look good to me too. def post some pics when u get it together.

impo, fans are alright. 'too many fans' usually only applies to people who are bent on silence. my room is so frickin loud noise is def not an issue. u could run all those fans at 7 volts and u would pry still get very nice temps. will pry be nice and quiet for u.

$0.02

:welcome:

Looks good to me and you can never have too many fans. I have 11 in my water cooled case. :) Only 4 of them are at full speed though.

Tnx for the feedback.
I wasn't planning on running any fan on 12V anyway. The plan is to run al non radiator fans on 5V-7V and the radiator fans on 7V. All depends on overclocking satisfaction and silence. My goal is to get at least 2750Mhz out of the x2 so if I can make this with all fans running low I won't bother having a noisy system at 2800Mhz. I just hope that the fan on the memory will have enough space to get air. The doors have those special anti noise stuff on it which I put in years ago back when durons and thunderbirds we're getting quite hot and I had to use an alpha 6035 with delta fan (10.000) \o/.
Maybe I can remove them when the system is very quiet to improve the airflow.
Here's a picture of what I mean.

caseinside.jpg

i love that case

i too was an alpha fan, i was using an 8045 up till my dip into water. what a beast. i was using a smartfan II, 8cm, 75cfm. LOUD ehe.

when u put it all together, u have to try running the rad fans full blast, just for ships and giggles.

will be looking forward to seeing it fired up

I'll open a new topic with pictures once everything is in. That Athlon x2 takes so long to ship :(. It was promised to me before the weekend :-/.
Anyway, when all is setup I'll try the max o/c. I'll be happy with a 250Mhz fsb >> 2.75 Ghz x2. Anything higher would be nice but not something I absolutely need.

Btw, I'll be using a little reservoir as well on pump level in the case. Does this have any effect on things?

check out the link in my sig, i used a small res myself

it seems to me that res or no res is merely a matter of preference. there wouldnt really be anything negative to using a res, aside from a minor increase in complication for the whole.

many argue that a res helps the bleeding process.

a res might give u a little more water volume, but its my understanding that more water only makes the approach to delta ends take slightly longer, it wont actually give u better temps.

and BTW, when u expect parcels, they never come thru. anytime i anxiously await the arrival of new toys, its never on time. when i blow it off and forget about it it comes a day early. go figure :shrug:

"and BTW, when u expect parcels, they never come thru. anytime i anxiously await the arrival of new toys, its never on time. when i blow it off and forget about it it comes a day early. go figure"

It happens to me all the time, I hate it. :bang head

Got the watercoolingset now. Just unpacking and fitting things. Just a quick question, is it in any way harmfull to put the pump ON the psu (except temp.)?

Another question.
I got a reservoir which is different from what they stated. I don't care as much as long as you people can tell me what the possibilities are placementwise.
Can I mount it like this? Or does it have to be turned 90 degrees?

reservoir.jpg

Oh btw, this is the set I have now:

wcset1.jpg

wcset2.jpg

You can lay it on it's side however doing so will allow bubbles to just get sucked back through the loop making the use of a res... useless. Make room and stand it up.

edit: didn't see the longer tube inside it. If you have water enter the rad through the long tube, you might be okay. You'll have to try and see.

Anybody knows the answer to the pumpquestion?
Putting the pump on the psu, otherwise i'll just put it on the 'ground'.

Got my reservoir like this now, think the place is ok:

reservoirinstalled.jpg

Last edited:
Thing you want to keep in mind when using a res is that you want the res higher that the intake on the pump. If not, then I wouldn't even bother with using the res. This is what cytronym was refering to about gravity.

If the pump is higher than your res, I think the only way to get water to flow would be to add water to the res, connect a hose and try to blow the water towards the pump. This will be a PITA too because you will have to do it a little at a time until the pump can do it on its own.

Well I have everything in case now. Cut the tubes, connected them and did a testdrive. I'm amazed how silent the pump is, maybe coming from some crappy thermaltake aquarius set is a factor :p.
Only things that have to come in are the cpu and mem. Yes ordering on the i'net is so fast...Till then, tnx for all advice and I'll show some benches when I have everything o/

Back