• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Any bad experience buying refurbished items from Newegg.com ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

OrangeYoYo

Registered
I think about buying refurbished stuff from Newegg, but I'm really worry about the quality of those refurbished items. Please share your experiences and opinions.
Thanks. :cool:

Last edited:
My experiences have been fine.

Keep in mind that they send you NOTHING except the actual item- even if other items are necessary to make the item work.

nealric said:
My experiences have been fine.

Keep in mind that they send you NOTHING except the actual item- even if other items are necessary to make the item work.

OMG !! That surprises me. How can we get the item work without those accessaries...?? What does Newegg think about? I believe that they dont have a very good position in the refurbished market...
Instead of buying refurbished items from Newegg, I would go ebay to search for a better deal.

Nope, never, in fact I had a motherboard come to me in a complete retail box with all the extras included. Not sure what happen there but I didn't complain. :)

again ill put in votes for no problems, in fact im running 2 seagate 80gig sata in raid on an abit nf7-s with a radeon 9500np and a xp 1700+ all newegg refurbished. The video card and the motherboard both came in retail boxes with EVERYTHING. The hdd i had to buy cables for, no biggie.

i tried to cheap out on buying a refurbished mobo. ended up frying my cpu. and 15 dolalrs to ship it back.

Yeah I'm not sure about buying refurbed electronics. Just because it is indeed electronics and can mess something up. On the other hand, it is pretty good to buy them when on a budget.

personally newegg refurb>e-bait. I would never buy core computer pieces on e-bay.
As for refurbs.
gotten:
2 AMD procs
1 intel proc
2 gigabyte P4 boards
NF7-S Rev2 board
120gig HDD
2 512MB sticks of RAM
and a video card
havent had a problem with a single piece and every item is still running strong as if it were brand new. They all came OEM packed except for the nf7-s which I lucked out on and got EVERY component the new ones come with :)
so :thup: to newegg refurbs. Just always remember to test quick because the DOA return time limit isn't long :)

I'm going back and forth right now on whether or not to buy a refurbed video card, Evga 6800gt agp, $234. Also wondering if I do get the card if it will still qualify for the step up program from Evga. ( Just in case I am overly tempted by one of the "lower end" 7800's if they come out in Agp)

Refurbished item purchased at Newegg.com

Dear Forum Members,

Thank you for your comments. I wanted to point out 2 things.

1.) You are always taking a risk when purchasing a refurbished item from anyone.
2.) Newegg is always here to help with any issues that you may have with a refurbished item.

As you know, you are taking a risk when purchasing used or refurbished items. Newegg is well informed of this, and we try to make it know to our customers by adding a disclaimer before purchase.

Refurbished items are items that are returned from customers for many reasons. The reasons that seem suitable for resale are considered and sold as refurbished. For the most part, Newegg’s refurbished items don’t have a very high return rate. Although you should expect the item only (as accessories are rarely included), you should expect the item to be acceptable for the price offered.

In any case, you should have the confidence to purchase any item from Newegg, as we do have refund policies to help you with a return. We will be here to listen to you, and resolve any situation that you may run into.

Thank You,
Jason, Newegg Customer Support :)

havent had a problem with a single piece and every item is still running strong as if it were brand new. They all came OEM packed except for the nf7-s which I lucked out on and got EVERY component the new ones come with

Thats strange-
I ordered a DFI nf4 ultra D from them and did not get the IO shield or even the sound module! - Good thing I wasnt planning on using onboard sound :rolleyes:

I have had good luck and bad luck. I've bought a couple mobo's and processors with no problem..in fact, a K7S5A refurb I bought a year ago was new retail...odd but cool. I recently had a Ti4200 and a 512mb Pc3200 deal that the VGA card showed artifacts, the memory was DOA but all it cost me was return shipping which was very few dollars...Newegg RMa is great!

I bought a refurb 3000 AMD Winchester that had a faulty memory controller (could only run 1 stick of ram). They didn't have any in stock for the RMA so they refunded my money. Not a bad experience but I did receive faulty equipment.

I purchased 4 refurbed motherboards from Newegg. 2 Shuttle motherboards that came complete with all accessories, that both worked fine, and an Epox and ASUS board that came completely bare, without even a backplate.

The Epox was in perfect working condition, but the ASUS board (Socket 775 P5P800) had a crapload of blown capacitors along the top. What is even funnier, is I bought one in person from someone who had the same board, refurbished from Newegg, that had the SAME problem. 2 different boards, same problem..?

I also bought a 9700PRO which I RMA'd since I received one that was a revision 1.1 that refused to work on 8x AGP boards. The card technically was in working condition though.

I'd go for it, but remember you are always taking a chance.

I bought a refurb Linksys WRT54G which was DOA on arrival. The previous owner performed a bad flash on it, so it never got passed the blinking power light.

I've also bought a 160GB Hitachi last year, and it's been running without any problems. Luck of the draw, and the honesty of the previous owners is what counts.

Back