• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

TuneUp Utilities 2004

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

adriana

hey my friend told me about this program and i was wonder if its a good program? does it really delete all the *useless files* in your computer and cleans you registry?

I use it and it works really well, there are some junk files (I think some of the tmp files mainly) that it doesn't clean. However, for the most part it was worth the money I spent on gaining a license to it.

yeah it's pretty good, i used it for a while, but i don't see the point of having it on the long-time run, since almost all it does that is special is configuring some windows thingies that stay the same once uninstalled. The cleaning well, it's nice, but i prefer doing it manually (except for the registry) to make sure no trouble appear from an error...

Of course it will revert back, otherwise what would be the point of buying it when you can just free-trial the thing and then uninstall it? The registry sweeps is the main thing I use it for, because it will detect a lot more than other programs would and stuff that I would not want to get my hands "dirty" to find and do.

I don't recommend using any "tweaking" programs (except for stuff like TweakUI). Especially ones that clean the registry. There is absolutely no reason to clean the registry and more harm then good can come from using them.

If you just want to delete junk files use CCleaner which is free. I do not recommend using the registry cleaning part of it though.

I am currently using Registry Mechanic. So far I have had not one single issue. Eveytime I ran it, I checked out the results it gave and it was failry accurate. I am curious to the reasoning why it will harm the registry? Yeh some of the poorly coded ones will hose you, but the betters ones IMO work pretty good.
It saves me the hassle of doing it myself. Having redundant\invalid entries is not a good thing.

It may not hose your rig, but there is always the chance. I have ran into many PC's that had problems caused by registry cleaners. Also the fact that some registry cleaner knows exactly what to remove and what not when there are so many PC configurations makes no sense to me.

Also there is absolutely no reason to clean the registry. It will not effect performance one bit. The registry is small and is mapped. it also is not read sequentially so those registry keys the cleaners clean out don't hurt performance one bit.

So the bottom line is cleaning the registry will not help performance and it is dangerous.

Winterhavok, I have tried it, and it DOES NOT revert using Tuneup utilities 2004 free trial. Everything stays as so after the uninstallation. I know it's incredibly weird (maybe even dumb) but that's how it is.

And i more than agree with BrutalDrew, "tweaking" programs for the most does not help, and sometime harms (thats why i clean my registry myself). However, there are some nifty windows config than can be altered using these program, and that can actually help, like lowering the time taken for windows to open the start menus files to instant.

CCleaner erases a lot of stuff that you may want to keep. Like Browser History, Cookies, etc. As far as purchasing a license, for these types of utilities, its not worth the money. CCleaner is all you will need.

Rule of Thumb: Backup your Registry before making changes. File/Export.

Rule of Thumb: Backup your Registry before making changes. File/Export.

An even better rule is don't even mess with it. However, the method you mentioned (File-Export) should only be used when backing up individual branches of the registry. A full registry backup using that method will not restore correctly if the registry is corrrupted. So it is recommended to use something like Erunt for backing up the entire registry.

If I corrupt my registry I reapply my backup image. I am picky on tools for backing up. Use partition imaging(HPA) then there is no need to fill the disk up with programs for doing the same as imaging does.

Back