• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What security software do you use?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

crash013

I use:

• Kaspersky Anti Virus Personal (best AV I've ever used)
  • Sygate Personal Firewall Pro
  • SpywareBlaster (passive, doesn't need to be running)
  • Spybot Search & Destroy
  • ProcessGuard (this is awesome, everyone should have it)

I used to use Ad-Aware, but after they sold out to that spyware company When.U, I just don't trust them anymore.

Oh and I use Firefox too, filters out a lot of the crap you can get from sites (compared to IE).

I use AntiVir, SP2 firewall, SpywareBlaster, Microsoft Anti-Spyware, Ad-aware, Spybot S&D. I also use Opera as my browser.

Haha yeah. I've been spyware/adware/virus free for months now.

I've been using Outpost firewall for a while and I like it. It offers a lot of options and is free.

I did ditch adaware and Microsoft Anti-spyware. But I use spybot once a while.

I also have Norton AV Corp.

How is Zone Alarm? I tried it about 1.5 years ago and never tried it again.

crash013 said:
How is Zone Alarm? I tried it about 1.5 years ago and never tried it again.

I never liked the firewall. Never tried the suite though and don't really want to. I also see no need to have a software firewall other then the SP2 firewall.

Firewall is pretty good the antivirus I wouldnt use. I have it and use the free avg over it Then again I would pick avg over anything besides panda so I geuss that is not saying much. I use bazooka,adware,ms anti spyware,za,avg,spyware blaster, spybot search and destroy.

BrutalDrew said:
Or Opera ;)

I think FF is a great browser, but Opera is better IMO.

Right. Anything other than IE for now; we'll see what IE7 holds. I notice that Opera is now a free browser; I'll have to download it and give it a whirl. The one thing that prevented me from doing so in the past was the fact that they charged for it.

Wouldn't configuring a hardware firewall be a real bit*h? I'm not really experienced with hardware firewalls (even though I have a router with it :rolleyes: ). How would it restrict access of say your browser if it were hijacked by some spyware or virus?

crash013 said:
Wouldn't configuring a hardware firewall be a real bit*h? I'm not really experienced with hardware firewalls (even though I have a router with it :rolleyes: ). How would it restrict access of say your browser if it were hijacked by some spyware or virus?

Configuring a hardware firewall is actually very easy. If you configured your router, you can handle it. For that matter, if your router has a firewall with stateful packet inspection, you're already protected and any software firewall is entirely superfluous.

A drastically simplfied explanation of the pupose of a hardware firewall is that it "hides" your computer from the internet. Only those ips you explicitly request will be allowed to communicate; to all others, you don't exist.

Hardware firewalls do not prevent "hijacking" or viruses. The best insurance against spyware/hijacking is to not use Internet Explorer and the best insurance against viruses is to use smart email/web practices and run a good anti-virus client, such as AVG.

Back