• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leak testing, how much is enough?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Flip-Mode

I have finally constructed my WC setup and its currently leak testing. My question is how much time is considered enough? 24h? 12h?
As you can see from the pic its quite ghetto, the worst part is that Chevette core where I used ultra rubbery tubing to strech it over the big barbs and then used a cone type connector to connect it to 1/2' tube but hey it works :)
You can also see the self made hold down plate for the WW, D-tek want 12$+shipping for it BAH.
wcingweb6ml.jpg

24 hours is def the recommended inspection time.
i think the point is, though, that you must be confident in the setup. if u trust that its solid, thats what counts.

well i have been running my my set up in a bucket for close to 2 weeks now no leeks so far but im just to chicken to hook it up to my pc.

I add coolaid (dark red) just fro leak testing
if it leaks it stans :)
I wouldnt use cable ties tho
get pipe clips Stanless or the

or in my case get push fittings
:)
Borgy

Hmm, I'd be very interested to see if those cable ties work. If so, that's another couple of £ shaved off the price of my watercooling setup (that so far exists only in my mind).

Dfi-Boy said:
well i have been running my my set up in a bucket for close to 2 weeks now no leeks so far but im just to chicken to hook it up to my pc.

You might as well just stop the leak testing then. There's no point. It works good, just get the jimmy's up and install it.

Can you also leak test by hooking it up to the PC but not turning it on? Would the parts be damaged if water is spilled on it but its not running?

crash013 said:
Can you also leak test by hooking it up to the PC but not turning it on? Would the parts be damaged if water is spilled on it but its not running?

i leak tested the non-recommended way, i leak tested in my case with everything hooked up. but like stated above i was very confident in the setup. i only had one small leak, one of the barbs on the video card cooler was leaking, so i drained the system and wrapped the barbs tightly and ALOT in plumbers tape and solved the issue.

this vga block leaked on the sound card. sound card wasnt harmed at all. i just wiped it off and took it out of the computer unltil i was satisfied the vga block was leak proofed.

i just take my time to ensure a tight seal on all the connection when im assembling it, then check it for leaks when im bleeding the loop, if i don't see leaks by the time im finished bleeding manually, 15-30min, then i pop the loop in the pc and wrap paper towel or toilet paper around all of the questionable connections and check them every 30min - 1hour, ... teflon tape is your friend

I also leak test in my system. I find it almost impossible to install waterblocks and route tubing, if its already put together. So i install everything, doublecheck all the connectors to make sure i never missed any. Then i fill the loop, and add a few drops of food colouring. Wrap all the barbs, and connectors in paper towel. If water leaks out, like someone said, it will stain the paper towel. Easy way to find the leaks.

I remember reading that food colouring isn't good for the pumps. You might want to try the dyes or something else.

No offence, but I don't get the leaktesting for so many hours...Just hook it up, run it for a few minutes and see if anything feels wet, and you're done. Always done it this way and never had problems.

Leak testing is a situation where I use the "Do as I say, not as I do." method.

I suggest that anyone new to water cooling, or just not confident in their setup, leak test for 24 hours.

The duration helps make it easier to check for those pesky minuscule leaks that really don't show up well: barely wet or not at all but air in the lines.

Personally, my leak tests last just about as long as it takes for me to turn on the pump and bleed most of the air out.
The bleeding of air bubbles finishes with the pc running, usually.

I am pretty confident at this point though, having built a few dozen systems, many of which were modified fairly often.

As far as leak testing with the components installed but computer not plugged in: depends on your confidence level yet again.

Getting unpowered components wet will NOT directly damage them, but if they are not thoroughly dried or if the water gets contaminated by stuff on the PCB and then bridges something, you could have a fatal problem. Getting any components wet really is a risk and giving a mobo an alcohol bath is a pain in the neck.

The SAFEST thing to do is this: leak test outside the computer for 24 hours.
Once this test is passed, install everything and leak test again without power to the computer.
After your system has passed this test you are nearly guaranteed of a leak-free system.

I don't do it, but that doesn't mean it isn't a smart thing to do. ;):D

I tested my setup for about 6 hours and then hooked it up. I did a good job and was confident with all my parts.

Back