• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

What Codecs and Why?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

lilxvietxboi

Well, I just wanted to see what everyone thought of codecs. I currently have DivX, Xvid, AC3 Filter, and FFDShow. Not knowing what AC3 and FFD do(Anyone explain?) I just got VLC and it looks really cool. What should every computer Video watcher have on their computer?

I like to stay away from packages. Bloated with material you don't ever use/know/need.

Edit: Actually after looking at the link, its rather small. I may check it out. Thanks. Missing Xvid though?

1. Official free DIVX codec (now version 6) - I think only the Pro version has adware.
2. MPC Real/Quicktime Alternative.

I used the theorica codec pack for a while, it worked just fine for video playback, but some their codecs kind of messed with my video encoding programs like virtualdub so I just stick with the official divx codec. Media Player Classic has AC3 codecs included I think.

I'll give the defiler pack a try though.

AC3 is a sound codec which lets you experience surround sound through divx if I'm not mistaking. I just know whenever there's a movie with AC3, the sound is great. ffdshow has loads of features, I like the postprocessing features where you can get a blocky movie to look quite ok (takes cpu cycles though!). It's also used to customize subtitles for japanese movies for instance. Personally I am a big xvid fan cause it really gives you nice results.

Back