• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Retail G4's ?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Interesting. We'll see how it works this time around. *hugs his Cascade*

very interesting... i'm anxious to see who's gonna make them now :attn:

(though i already have a G5... the only thing i could ever want would be a second G5 so that i could build a crazy dual xeon rig)

I don't believe that this is going to be another whitewater/dtek deal, from what I've read over @ overclockers.com.au it seems a retailer has purchased a large amount of G4's to make custom rigs out of them...but I could be wrong

yeah, the guy from extreme prometia bought a large number of them from the first batch to build rigs with, but thats got nothing to do with this - someone posted info from a supplier that it was going to be marketed by swiftech... and if thats true, it will retain the swiftech name in ultimate quality

kinda takes away from the "exclusive-ness" eh sneaky?

not that I'm being a "hater" or anything, kudos to cathar, but we all waited a fair amount of time for our G4's/G5's and now it will be more readily available...

oh well, i'm not complaining after waiting over 8 months for mine, I'm very happy w/ the finished product

IN that thread on Hardocp didnt cathar say they would be readily available through multiple vendors? i bet cooltechnica is just one of those vendors.

And im really glad this came at this time, im purchasing my setup this week so i guess i can wait another couple days for the cpu block!

I've held off purchasing a g4/g5 simple because of the waiting list. But with a retail option, I will definately pick one up.

I am praying that the retailer's blocks will perform as well as what Cathar made. DTek killed the White Water.

NOTHING that is mass-produced (ie for PROFIT) can ever compare to something that was as lovingly designed as the G4/5. and with (small) production runs, over seen by 1 person (the creator), the quality is truly top notch.

just picture a Ferrari Enzo that came off a Ford F-150 production line :rolleyes:

Joe Camel said:
NOTHING that is mass-produced (ie for PROFIT) can ever compare to something that was as lovingly designed as the G4/5. and with (small) production runs, over seen by 1 person (the creator), the quality is truly top notch.

just picture a Ferrari Enzo that came off a Ford F-150 production line :rolleyes:

that is one heck of an analogy.

i'm glad i got my g4 from the man himself... second hand anyways.

Joe Camel said:

I disagree. The question is whether or not that product is intended to be a high end extremely costly solution, or not. It woudl make little sense to buidl an seembly line for an automobile when you sell one a month. However, it does make sense to build an assembly line for something you sell a 1000 a month. And that doesn't mean quality has to suffer either. It depends on the tollerances used to produce the end product.

A BMW 540 IL is mass produced, but wouldn't you say that is a finer, more well putogether machine than say, a Toyota Camery? And yes, it does cost quite a bit more as well.

The question is will we see a $40 G4 that peforms subpar because concesions were made in the manufacturing process (not sure it would preally be a G4 then anyway), or will we see a $60 G4 that is as well made as cathars, just on a big enough scale that costs can come down?

If whoever it is that starts making these produces subpar ones I will not buy it, not even if its considerably cheaper... unless the performance is only slightly off, then maybe. I'd rather just use my WW and wait in line to get a G4 from Cathar (if he still made them himself) or just wait til I can get a G5.

Hopefully the latter. I'm really looking forward to picking one of these up but would hate for it to be a lower performer than Cathar's blocks.

^^ agreed.

The machining of the Base plate is more complicated than other blocks (say for instance a TDX), but that doesn't mean it can't be produced on a large scale, it's a matter of being able to do so. If they are machined with the same tollerances that Cathar has lovingly put into his blocks, then all will be well.

Think of it this way. it's one thing to design a block, and go to a local machinist and say, "Hey make me 25 of these out of copper". And another thing to happen to own or contract out to a machine shop, and can say, "Hey frank, lets spit out 5000 of these things".

Getting a small run will cost you more, plain and simple.

Hopefulyl we will see some G4s in the $50-60 price range that are as good as the ones currently out there.

Last edited:
Back