• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Fire fox backup?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

IFMU

The Xtreme Senior Nobody
Apologies if this is in the wrong place, seemed the correct area.

Ok, heres the deal, I format every couple of months, fresh install of pretty much everything. One thing that is rightly annoying is that using Firefox has become a bit of a hassle with a fresh install. I get it where I like it, the right plug-ins etc. Format 2 months down the line, have to find each friggin plugin and re-install them. Half of that is a pain because I cant recall exactly which plugins Ive installed. So, how can I save these plugins and not have to search for them through the plug-ins page? Or is that even possible?
Any ideas/help would be apprecaited.

IFMU

Make sure you can view hidden files and folders...and then:

C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\Mozilla\

Just copy that folder and you should be good. It's also good for backing up the emails you send and recieve in Thunderbird, etc. Many many good and useful files in there that I like to back up. I'm not actually sure if it has the plug-ins as well, but it does keep all your shortcuts in order. I'm pretty sure it's plug-ins too, but don't quote me on that unless I'm right :)

Ok cool and thanks, guess Ill give it a shot soon, gonna have to format soon. ;)

I know for some of the plugins you have an opportunity to download the installation directly to your computer. If you are reinstalling all those applications, then why not installl the plugins at the same time?

I use the method of backing up of the whole Mozilla(Firefox) folder and Thunderbird folders. It will retain everything just the way you like it. All you tweaks, configs, mail and plugins will be retained. I like to toss a current copy of the install into the backup for ease of doing it. To restore the browser/Mail client. Just install said apps and then copy back from were you got them.

tspier2 said:
If you are reinstalling all those applications, then why not installl the plugins at the same time?
The largest reason is its a pain, I cant always remember exactly where I got the plugins. Which section on the extention site etc. I cant remember what all I installed etc etc etc. Which if I can download the extention and save them to re-install, excellent! Otherwise, which by the looks of it, I might just be screwed.

IFMU,

By saving the whole folder from the location

C:\Documents and Settings\*your username*\Application Data\
~then grab the folder you want

For Linux it is
~/.mozilla/firefox/

You will have an exact copy of your Firefox after you recopy to the same location. Even after a format. Even the extensions you have installed. No need to download or reinstall the plug-ins or extensions. Just reinstall Firefox, copy the folder back to its home. Then your ready to go.

I have a rolling backup of my Firefox from when I very first installed it (been quite a while now). Same as Thunderbird. No loss of data. Just pure backup goodness, even after many formats. I do a quick backup prior to installing a new release too. If it happens to eat my install of the browser. I am down for the time it takes to recopy the folder back to the location. Can't say that for my IE install.

MozBackUp is a simple utility for creating backups of Mozilla Firefox, Mozilla Thunderbird, SeaMonkey, Mozilla Suite and Netscape profiles in Windows

I don't know if this is still the case but, doing the folder backup never worked for me under windows. I would suggest the two plugins that are recommended above. I've used the first and it works well.

Back