• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is there any known issues with the virus protection build into sp2 and amd cpus

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

elec999

I am curious if there is any known issues with the amd virus protection, and windows xp sp2.DEP,NX.
Thanks

issues? as far as i know the a64 supports the data execution prevention in hardware, so if a virus attempts to overload the (memory?) with too many instructions it wont crash (im not sure if thats 100%) but there shouldn't be any 'issues' as it only prevents the pc from being shutdown, unless the app you are trying to run uses this technique?

WindowsXP SP2 uses the NX bit if it's available (A64, newer P4s, newer P-Ms) In fact, without that hardware support it's only partially effective since it would slow down the CPU too much.
WHat it does prevent is doing certain stack smashes where a malicious program pushes code on the stack and then executes it. Or writes code to a data segment and manipulates the stack to execute that code. While this makes exploits harder it is not a 100% protection against those attacks. If a program runs as administrator it can always overwrite parts of the code segment. And by default any Windows program is running under administrator priviledges.

Ive got a a64 with winxp sp2. And I have seen around people saying there are problems. The system may crash due to some problems. But I havent experienced anything yet.
Thanks

Go ahead and run it. There are a few programs that won't work with it, but for those, you can disable the virus protection for those specifically.

Back