• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P4C800-E Delux, can I running an old P4 400mhz CPU & 400mhz DDR RAM together?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Duster

P4C800-E Delux, can I run an old P4 400mhz CPU & 400mhz DDR RAM together?

P4C800-E Delux, can I run an old P4 400mhz CPU & 400mhz DDR RAM together?

Hi,
I'm building a new Gaming rig based on a P4C800-E Deluxe, and i'd like to know, can I running an old P4 400mhz CPU & 400mhz DDR RAM together?

I understand that the RAM would run slower than it should, but will it run at all?
This old CPU is just a stop gap untill I get my new 3.2 P4

Thanks for any help

Last edited:
d.chatten said:
It should be fine as the memory will clock down so it's inline with the cpu fsb.

Thanks for reply,
The CPU is an old 1.7 willy,

Thats good news then, as I cant get the new cpu just yet, and i'd like to know that the motherboard is OK.
thanks again

No, it won't work.... the P4C800 is a socket 478 made for P4 processors, and I believe the slowest P4 is 1.6 gigs.

A 400mhz chip is either a P2 with a Slot 1 socket, or a Celeron Mendecino........ either way it won't fit in that motherboard though, the pins on the cpu won't even match up with the slot on the board.

You'd be better off just waiting until you can afford your 3.2C

Welcome to the forums though (both of y'all) :)

[edit]

oh, you meant a 400 FSB chip...... yes, that will work with the P4C800. I though you meant a 400mhz clock speed.

Hi,
Thanks for reply.

Sorry, I wasnt being very clear. I do mean a 400 FSB chip

It is a 478 CPU. It will being coming out of my old Abit TH7-II motherboard

Thanks again for your help

Back