• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New to Water Cooling

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Warrior Legolas

Registered
I’m in the process of ordering a new computer.
I want to OC the hell out of this thing which has lead me to Water Cooling.
I know the basics of Water Cooling but not much else so I figured I should try and get some recommendations on a Water Cooling setup.
I would like to keep the total price (With case and Water Cooling) under $1600.
Also I haven’t decided on a Case yet (I like the Thermaltake Tsunami) what would be a good Case for installing a Water Cooling system???

This is the computer I’m ordering soon.
Motherboard: DFI Lanparty nForce4 Ultra-D $135.00
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 3000+ Venice $146.00
Thermal Paste: Arctic Silver 5 $6.99
Memory: OCZ Value Series VX 1GB $105.25
Hard Drive: Western Digital Raptor 74GB $175.00
Optical Drive: NEC ND-3540A $48.00
Floppy Drive: NEC Black $8.49
Case: ??? $???
Power Supply: OCZ Power Stream 520W $124.00
Video Card: eVGA e-GeForce 6800 GT PCI-Express $345.00
Sound Card: Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS $58.00
Speakers: Logitech Z-5300E $110.86
Keyboard: Saitek Gamers’ Keyboard $43.00
Mouse: Logitech MX1000 $51.99
Monitor (Already have): Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB

TOTAL: $1,357.58

Fishers Webb

for a 250$ u can get a prity nice WC
cpu block - Swiftech MCW 6002-64 - 43$
pump - D5 (also known as mcp655) - 75$
rad - Black Ice Xtreme Radiator -45$ (on sale at DD)
res - use a T - 2$
tubing and misc - 30-20$
and u'll still have money for gpu or nb block

I recommend you go with a fedco 2-302 heatercore instead for a Black Ice Xtreme Radiator which is far more expensive. You should be able to get that heatercore at most major car stores. Also you will need a shroud for it which you can make yourself. You will most likely fit 2 120mm fans on there which you can pick (recommendation: AOC Aluminum 120mm fans which provide good airflow at low noise level).

Link to modding the heatercore: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=304440

Ok so if I got this correct, you have spend $1357 and still need a case, and woudl like to WC but want to keep it under 1600?

Well a good case, you are already looking at roughly $100 if not more, that leaves less than $150 for WC. Which is possible to do. but you will have to make some consessions on stuff.

If you want a really nice WC setup i think a more realistic total price tag is $1700-1800

Warrior Legolas said:
I would like to keep the total price (With case and Water Cooling) under $1600

Like to.... Not Have to

I say just spend an extra 50

1600 goal ending at 1650 aint that bad of a overspend

Jas said:
Well a good case, you are already looking at roughly $100 if not more

Well that all really depends

I got a Lian Li PC-60 Case for 75 bucks on ebay and i love it

Here's what I'm thinking. If you want "top of the line" it's not going to be cheap. But, it can be done. Sub $100 watercooling is tough to do, around the $150 dollar range is allot easier to do, and still have a very good performing system.

To save money, a HC would be recomended, you can also check the classifieds for used blocks, might luck out and find a really nice one for a good price.

I think what everyoen woudl recomend is to hang out for a while, read the stickies and get an idea of what things are possible, and within what price ranges, and build something that fits your cost and performance goals.

Back