• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

my cpu is burning up! need watercooling kit! will this do?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

gram_vaz

it gets really hot in my room. the temp is good for my hermit crab pet but i doubt it's good for my pc. my cpu is idling at 62c right now. i wanted to get a traditional watercooling kit but it would take me a couple of months before i could afford it. i need a better cooling solution now. currently my cpu has a thermaltake volcano 11. would this watercooling kit do? about how much would it lower my temp? anyone have experience with these sort of watercooling? http://www.frozencpu.com/ex-wat-31.html

Usually most low grade kits aren't a hole lot better than aircooling.

Are you sure your heatsink is seated correctly, AS% applied right, good airflow in case? Because I've had a Volcano 11+ on my cpu, and even @ 1.85V during the summer, it didn't get that hot.

all the cabling is tidied up. 4 fans in thermaltake XaserV case. i'll try re-applying as5.

your right about kits like that not being all that better than aircooling. according to this review that kit doesn't cool better than a thermaltake volcano 12. :( http://www.bigbruin.com/reviews/poseidonwcl03/index3.php

it's just that my room gets so freaking hot. it's like no matter how hot it is outside inside my house the heat will get multiplied like 3x... gotta start saving up for watercooling parts now...

In the mean time, open up the side of your case, and blow a big fan right into it. That should help some. :p

Water cooling will only help so far, the warmer your room the warmer your pc will run. My suggestion, and what I do, is put a box fan in your window on full blast.

I'd worry about getting your ambient temp down first.

If you realyl must put a new cooler on there, save the money, and get a better air HSF.

which hsf? i want something that is silent but effective.

i think i should note that the volcano hsf i have is running at 2500rpm and not at the max 5000rpm. silence in my pc is important to me. i don't want my pc sounding like a lawnmower.

I'd say a TR SI-97.

Or one of the Zalman 7000 series HSF (might have to check and see if one of these will fit your mobo though)

gram_vaz: first of 62C will not happen on a properly mounted heatsink and fan unless you boosted your cpu voltage to a high level. Next up a remount and better airflow will solve this issue, can you please tell us how your fans are mounted in the case? There is a cheaper solution than going water for this or even getting a new heatsink.

What kind of ambeitn air temp are you looking at in that room btw. You said it was hot, but just how hot?

Jas said:
What kind of ambeitn air temp are you looking at in that room btw. You said it was hot, but just how hot?

He is probably talking about 30C at most since anything above that would be painfully hot. Also just because its "hot" does not mean water cooling is needed as said above in my post. Please post said info for us. Also if you are going to go water please read this thread: http://www.ocforums.com/showthread.php?t=369636

Last edited:
I agree. Especially if money is an object to consider. Plenty of good air cooling solution out there, and or easy airflow solutions to help.

oh snap. i forgot about this thread.

@SewerBeing. at stock voltage and the fan at full 5krpm blast i do get wonderfull temps. but at 12.5*176 @1.72v with the fan spinning at 2500rpm i do get those high temps. remounted hs/f twice and applied a thin layer of as5.

for my cooling i have a thermaltake XaserV case with one intake in the front and one exhaust in the back. when i add the top and two side fans it makes little difference so i removed them due to noise. the front fan is a low rpm fan and the exhaust is on a fan controller running at 1200rpm. like i said noise is a factor which is why i run it all like that.

Back