• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

XP Instal problem. File missing or corrupted??

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

p3wt

New XP install problem. Need help!

So I got this computer from a garage sale. I turn it on and pop in my XP disk. It takes me to bios and says A: Drive Error press F1 to continue. I hit F1 and it goes to another screen and lists my components and drives. Then it says A windows file has been lost or corrupted. Please install this again or something like that then it lists this- \system32\hal.dll.

Last edited:
the O/S needs to be reinstalled or repaired.

the F1 error just means there is no floppy disk in the computer

Sorry I'm new to OS's. So what do i do? How can I do that? I already put in my XP disk when It gives me that message

Reboot the computer and hit the delete key. On some models it might be F2 or something else.This brings up your bios. In here you will be able to set your boot order. Set it to boot to the CDROM first, and them the hard drive second. While you are in the bios, look around and see if you can disable the floppy drive. What type of computer did you get? Hope this helps.

Oh, and by the way
:welcome: Welcome to the Forums!!! :welcome:

Kick your shoes off and stay awhile. The people here are very knowledgable, and the cookies are great. Just ask Tollhouse Frank.

Go into your bios, usually hit the 'del' key or F2 sometimes F10. Find where is says boot device priority (or something similar) . You need to make the CD ROM the FIRST boot device, usually change order with the + or - or page up or down keys, the bios will say how to change options.

Ok thanks. You guys are really helpful. Much better than the old forums I was on.

then welcome here, you will get PLENTY of help from everyone, people here are awsome, thas why i am still around after almost 3 years and 5500+ posts :D

When do you get the signal error?

once in windows? if so resolution might be too high,.....

Right when I turn on my comp and my monitor I get a messege say "Signal Not Found". So basically there is nothing on my monitor. Its like its not getting anything from the video card. But thats wierd becuase it was working earlier today

Well I think your main concern is where this came from. There could be so many things causing what you are describing. If it is a fairly decent box and you got a good deal on it I would suggest taking it to someone who can diagnose it, and make some reccomendations..

Ok it now sends a feed to the monitor so that is fine. I changed the boot to Disk and then I set it up. It took me through everything and I got to the windows screen and asked me what I wanted to do (Like install windows, fix windows, ect) I had to leave for summer school so I left everything as it was. I came back and it said windows has been shut down for the safety of your computer. Then it listed this- CRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL. Then it said to restart and some other stuff. I restarted and I get the saem messege but it says this- PROCESS1_INITIALIZATION_FAILED. I cant get past that screen now.

Does anyone know how to repair this? Reset CMOS? Reformat? Anything?

Back