• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

problems with Win XP default sound theme

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

addoraa

Registered
Have a laptop that I have been working on for the last couple of days, got most of the bugs worked out but one. The sound themes will not work. Example: no start up wav, no shut down wav, no sound when clicking on links, etc.... basically no sounds at all, but will play music files, cd's etc.. Last night I created another profile and all sounds work in that profile but not the main users profile. Went in and set all sound defaults for the main users profile but still no go. Also did a repair install with no effect. The laptop is a Dell Inspiron purchased in December 04, P IV, 512 ram, 40gb hd, and XP Home.

Andy

Why not just use the profile that works then? What does it matter if the sound in the "main users" profile doesnt work properly? You can delete the "main users" profile and let windows create a new one if you want.

Yeah before I did a lot of work trouble shooting it I would just make a new account. Then delete your old one and tell windows to transfer all files to the new account.

I tend to agree on the new profile but the user really didn't want to go that route, and was extremely happy just to get the lappy back working even without the sounds. For me it is just a troubleshooting thing and I really like to problem solve.

Andy

Back