• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual Nocona Xeon 3.6Ghz Setup...

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Clayton

Hello,

I have just completed my new spec:

Chassis: SuperMicro CSE-743i-645B Black 4U Rackmount Case (Black)
Motherboard: SuperMicro X6DAE-G2
Chipset: 2x Nocona Intel Xeon 3.6 GHz
Graphics Card: nVidia Quadro FX 4400
RAM: 4GB DDR2 PC3200 ECC Server Memory 400MHz
Hard Drive: 2x 300Gb Maxtor MaxLine III (Industrial/Heavy Duty/Reliability 24x7) (7200rpm,16MB) SATA NCQ

The noise is quite loud on this spec, so I'm looking to have a watercooled system installed. I primarily use this machine for 3D applications and compositing.

Any and all suggestions welcome.

Many thanks.

Clayton

Blocks: 2x Danger Den TDX Xeon blocks w/ Brass top
Rad: Black Ice Extreme III (if you have room)
Pump: Danger Den D5/Swiftech MCP-655

(don't have much time at the moment, so i just did a quickie post of suggestions)

Thanks for your suggestions, so far I think I will go with the following:

Rad: Black Ice Extreme III

Pump: MCP650/MCP655. Can someone please tell me the difference between these two ??

Also, does anyone know if there is a water block available for the Quadro FX 4400 ?

Last edited:
650 Screammer (Much like its counter part on the Movie screamers!)
655 suposibly silent (Will be buying on when I actualy have money again "Now what does that look like again ?")

Cheers XeonStrikeForce.

According to the spec, the noise measurement is 33 ~ 34 dBA in a quiet room @ 2'

Also, has anyone had any experience with an MCW50-T located here: http://www.swiftnets.com/products/mcw50-T.asp ? Specifically for a Quadro FX 4400 ?? Or should I leave the fan on ??

the MCP655/D5 is not only quieter, but it is also a bit more powerful than the MCP650/D4

edit: for the GPU waterblock, pick up a danger den maze 4 w/ acetal or brass top - it has a much better mounting system for nvidia-based cards

I have the MCW50 on my graphics card. I too have a dual xeon rig (albeit 2x2.4's, 533, which at the time was a screamer). I don't have the '-T' version (ie. no TEC), though. The quadros appear to have the same bolt pattern as regular nvid, but I don't have a quadro on my home machine.

OT: What compositing apps are you running?

Many thanks for your replies.

Sneaky: Can you tell me (in your experience) what the best top is ? ie. Brass or Acetal ?

WormWood: I use 3dsmax and Combustion applications.

Oh yes, can someone please tell me the difference between the MCP655 and the Danger Den CSP-MAG 12 Volt Pump ? Noise ??

Clayton

Last edited:
acetal top IMO is better because its lighter and will put less strain on your card, but either one is good, just as long as its not the old aluminum top

OK, I have decided to go with Sneaky's suggestions:

Radiator: Black Ice Extreme III

Can anyone now recommend what I need now (including accessories). If I've left anything out, then could you please tell me:

1) Tubing and how much would I need ?
2) Water Additives ?

Is there anything I have left out here ?

Clayton

tubing: 25 ft of clearflex60 1/2" ID x 3/4" OD (1/8" wall) (extra is nice to have) - part #5231K237 at www.mcmaster.com (68 cents/foot)

hose clamps: stainless steel work drive clamps - part #5415K33 at www.mcmaster.com ($5.57 per 10 pack)

system filling: "T" fitting + danger den fillport

water/water additives: distilled water w/ 10% antifreeze and UV dye of choice

edit: for the GPU, are you gonna go with the MCW50 or DD Maze4?

Clayton said:
OK, I have decided to go with Sneaky's suggestions:

Radiator: Black Ice Extreme III

Can anyone now recommend what I need now (including accessories). If I've left anything out, then could you please tell me:

1) Tubing and how much would I need ?
2) Water Additives ?

Is there anything I have left out here ?

Clayton

I really think you should consider the MCW6002s, they're cheaper and perform the same.
good choice on pump, the c-systems have bigtime reliability problems
get tygon, it's the best out there, 10ft
use distilled and about 10% antifreeze

tygon is only a little bit better than clearflex, and its about $2 more per foot than CF60 is

just my .02

and tdx vs 6002 is just preference, i prefer the TDX though

Sneaky said:
tygon is only a little bit better than clearflex, and its about $2 more per foot than CF60 is

just my .02

and tdx vs 6002 is just preference, i prefer the TDX though

wrt tygon: he has two $1000 processors. you think he cares about $10?

wrt TDX:

cathar said:
Just to give a frame of reference, an Eheim 1046 applies around 0.5W of pumping power at its outlet. An Eheim 1250 provides around 2.0W, and a Laing D5 around 3.0W. Note that additional restrictions other than the waterbock saps a pump's power provided to the waterblock typically by 15-40%

so that's about 2.5w at best applied to the blocks, or 1.25 per block.

http://www.employees.org/~slf/curves/pumps/power/perfpwr3.png

at 1.25w hydraulic power, 6000 is about 1C better, and since he'll likely get about 1w or less to each block, he's looking at about a 1.3C difference to go with the 6000 which is cheaper anyway

keep in mind the TDX is essencially an RBX's C/W to flow curve shifted upwards about .6 degrees

http://www.procooling.com/html/pro_testing.php

Back