• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows swap file

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Just set it by going to Control Panel > System > Advanced > Performance: Settings > Advanced > Change.

Set it to "No Paging File" on C: and then set one for D:. Also I am guessing you have two seperate drives and are putting the pagefile on the second drive that is also on a serpeate controller?

Putting the pagefile on a seperate partition, but on the same physical drive is not a good idea. All that will do is increase seek time when paging to the pagefile. OS, applications and pagefile should all be in the same partition.

Indeed, this used to be a trick where people thought they would gain space and speed. I used to do it myself but then saw some tests and it's better to not mess with the pagefile. Imo disabling it won't be needed, windows should be smart enough to know what and what not to do concerning memory management. I just need it, cause rendering takes more than the 1gb I have now. Without it, it would just simply crash.

If you have another (preferrably fast 10K RPM) drive installed, it doesn't hurt to place the pagefile on it rather than running it off the primary OS partition ;)

El<(')>Maxi said:
If you have another (preferrably fast 10K RPM) drive installed, it doesn't hurt to place the pagefile on it rather than running it off the primary OS partition ;)

Yes, it is best to have the pagefile on the most-used partition on the least-used HDD.

Back