• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

DVD drive driver problems

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Leviathan41

I was working on a computer (running Windows XP Pro SP2) that had 2 DVD drives, a Memorex DVD-RW and a Hitachi DVD-ROM. Apparently one time when the owner of this computer booted up, his drives didn't show up under My Computer. I checked the Device Manager and it said that the drivers were corrupt or that there was a problem with the drivers. I looked at the driver details and it listed four files (cdrom.sys, atapi.sys, redbook.sys, and storprop.dll) I copied those files from my computer to his but it still didn't work. Any idea what is going on?

check and make sure that if they are on the same cable, that one is set to slave, the otehr to master, or both to cable select. Make sure the computer sees both in BIOS (this assures the connections are good)

IF you are still having problems in XP, let us know.

You might also want to give this a shot...go to Doug Knox's site here:

http://www.dougknox.com/xp/scripts_desc/xp_cd_dvd_fix.htm

...download and extract the XP_CD-DVD-Fix.zip file, then run the executable. You could instead download the CDGONE.REG file (contained within CDGONE.ZIP) from the same site, extract the contents, then merge the .reg file. The contents of the .reg file are...

REGEDIT4

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}]
"UpperFilters"=-
"LowerFilters"=-

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdr4_2K]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdralw2k]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Cdudf]

[-HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\UdfReadr]

...and of course there shouldn't be a space between the c and e in any of the "Services" entries above (just in case you want to copy and paste the above into Notepad, and save with a .reg extension.)

Alright, I'll give it a shot when I got over there again, thanks!

PS: Yeah, they are on the same IDE and the BIOS sees them fine, I even booted to a CD and tried using the Recovery Console. Also, I forgot to mention that when I uninstall them with the Device Manager and restart the computer, when it boots back up, it shows Found New Hardware in the system tray and correctly identifies each drive, but they don't show up in Windows.

Last edited:
Back