• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Windows Repair

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

Hey guys, i have a question. I have never done a windows repair before, does it wipe the HDD or just repair the windows installation?

I ask because my GF's telling me she keeps getting a blue screen randomly (im guessing blue screen of death)
and she says it sometimes says No Boot device recognized.

Im thinking windows is corrupted, would a repair fix this if i couldnt fix it myself?

If Windows is the problem...then yes a repair install will fix it.

A repair install deletes all of the Windows files and installs them new...so it doesn't wipe the HDD clean

Hold tight man. Run a drive fitness test first. Go to the drive manufacturers site and d/l the test utility. If you're getting random BSOD's and an occasional unmountable boot volume it very well could be a dead or dying hard drive.

i dont think so because it only get BSODS when she does a virusscan

EDIT: oh yea and if i do a repair on it, will it remove anything in My Documents for each user? Im guessing yes.

Oh it seems that she has lost her xp cd. Would using my xp cd be legal or even work to do a simple repair?

If she has cd key it will be fine. Doing it wont mess up anyfiles. It basically unistalls all windows files and I think a lot of drivers and then reinstalls then. I have done it atleast 8 times and not once noticed any files missing.

Back