• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Leaving MAXMEM setting at 256 - safe?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Celeron_Phreak

I'm having trouble installing FarCry and I've been told to use this fix to correct any problems I'm having:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=314810

Now would it really hurt to just leave the MAXMEM setting at 256 after installing FarCry? Wouldn't it actually help by avoiding the problem again in the future since the fix would already be in place?

~C.P.

What sort of problem(s) are you running into during the installation? Are you receiving an error message, and if so...what is it? Are you trying to install the game while OC'd, and if so...have you tried installing it at default clock?

Last edited:
I'm getting a 1335 error saying that data1.cab on disc 2 is bad, but I did get the whole mess figured out. I had to use my IDE DVD-ROM to install the game instead of the Plextor.

Yes, I did try it while OC'd, but that just reminded me. The nForce SATA controller can't be locked, and my Plextor is on that nForce controller, while my HDs are on the Silicon Image controller which is locked. Perhaps the system being overclocked and the drive on the unlocked SATA channel is what caused it.

Back