• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

P5DW2 CPU Lock?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Ross

Senior Intel-lectual
For those with this mobo, I was wondering whether or not the CPU LockFree (multiplier selection) is working or not yet? I am ready for a new mobo and am down to flipping a coin between it and the Abit AW8. My only real hold up on the Asus is that I've seen some reviews where the SpeedStep/LockFree works fine and many more where it doesn't.

I saw that a new BIOS was released on 6/29 for it, but no description of what it fixes. Anyone using the new BIOS yet and does it correct the problem?

Thanks!

Flashed the new bios and it's a no go here, no LockFree options in bios.. It ****es me off, P5WD2 doesn't support all the functions of SpeedStep that the P5AD2-E did so I can't run the 14x multi.

Apparently there is only one Intel CPU that will unlock with the P5WD2. The 660 chip!

Hopefully they will fix this in some future bios so that it works on all of them.

Damn, I was afraid of that. Thanks for the replies. Seems like a killer board otherwise, using new VR chip which apparently reduces or seriously minimizes droop and everything.

I am not really sure what to do now. I want it, but am going to be P.O.'d if I can't run 14x. The only thing that makes me nervous is that there apparently have been a few BIOS updates since the release already, including the latest one above, and none have addressed the issue. I am afraid they won't ever address it. What to do (besides buy a 660 right now)? Hmmm.

Anyone know if the same issue is seen on the AW8-MAX? Oh, does anyone also know why the regular AW8 is more expensive than the AW8-MAX at ZZF??

Thanks for the replies!

Just thought I'd update here. I got my P5WD2 today. My BIOS (308) has LockFree: Auto, Disable and Enable, so my 550 (SL7J8) is running at 14x as I type this :D

Oops. Make that BIOS revision 304, not 308. Sorry.

Yep, you can download the BIOS file here. I zipped it because I wasn't sure if it needed to be uploaded as binary or ASCII for just a plain file and didn't want P5WD2s going down left and right :)

Let me know if it works for you.

Some CPU-Z screenshots with this BIOS:

550-14x.gif

p5wd2-304.gif

No problem, let us know if it adds Enable to your LockFree (and on what proc).

ASUS has been lacking in their BIOS fixes lately. They have released DOZENS of updates for the P5ND2-SLI and not ONE allows you to overclock correctly- if any OC at all. There have been releases starting with 0605 all the way to 0802 now and still overclocking has not been fixed. :bang head

Sen, I know, don't rub it in :D I meant for those with other than 660s...hehe. What I don't understand is that there are newer versions of the BIOS that supposedly people don't have Enable available on.

What version are you on now Sen? Supposedly, 408 is the "good" OC BIOS. I have it too if you want to give it a shot. I haven't tried it and probably won't until I max my OC on this one.

Bummer man, LockFree still isn't even in my bios. Maybe I'm doing something wrong, does anything else have to be disabled\enabled in order for LockFree to show up? I'm running a 650........... Bout to throw this damn computer down the stairs, but I'm just going to take my frustration out in BF2.....

Ranger, what's your S-Spec and/or core stepping? I am guessing all the 600s are N0 steps? If so, it looks like the 660 doesn't have multi enabled in it (at least the only N0 step 3.40 I see). There are 2 "performance" specs for P4s: 04A and 04B. If you know your S-Spec, you can look it up on Intel's site. AFAIK, only 04Bs have the multi enabled. A good indication is the wattage too. For 500s, 84W versions are A (no multi) and 115W versions are B (multi). The only 650 step I saw up there is 84W, so probably no multi. If you have an 04A, it probably doesn't even allow the multi option in BIOS (either won't show or will be greyed out), but it would be under Advanced->CPU Config->AI CPU Lock Free.

I am thinking you just have a proc that doesn't support the multi...sorry man. You'd probably need to step up to the 660 or 670 (both 115W, 04B spec) or lose the 2MB L2 and stuff of the 600s and go for certain spec 500s to get to it :(

Ross said:
Ranger, what's your S-Spec and/or core stepping? I am guessing all the 600s are N0 steps? If so, it looks like the 660 doesn't have multi enabled in it (at least the only N0 step 3.40 I see). There are 2 "performance" specs for P4s: 04A and 04B. If you know your S-Spec, you can look it up on Intel's site. AFAIK, only 04Bs have the multi enabled. A good indication is the wattage too. For 500s, 84W versions are A (no multi) and 115W versions are B (multi). The only 650 step I saw up there is 84W, so probably no multi. If you have an 04A, it probably doesn't even allow the multi option in BIOS (either won't show or will be greyed out), but it would be under Advanced->CPU Config->AI CPU Lock Free.

I am thinking you just have a proc that doesn't support the multi...sorry man. You'd probably need to step up to the 660 or 670 (both 115W, 04B spec) or lose the 2MB L2 and stuff of the 600s and go for certain spec 500s to get to it :(

Oh no I ran the 14x multi on my P5AD2-E. The box says 04A on it.

It would appear that new bios 0509, has fixed the locked multi problem. I still don't have a CPU so I can't test it myself.

Here it is: 0509

Ranger, sorry I never got an email for your response. You have an an 04A proc and were able to select 14x??? Weird.

I haven't updated any BIOS yet, so if someone gives the 509 a shot, please let me know if it (or anything higher than version 304 for that matter) offers a higher max MCH voltage. The 304 is 1.65V max. My P5AD2-E went up to 1.80V. I am just hoping I can select it rather than have to do the voltage mod :)

Ross said:
Ranger, sorry I never got an email for your response. You have an an 04A proc and were able to select 14x??? Weird.

I haven't updated any BIOS yet, so if someone gives the 509 a shot, please let me know if it (or anything higher than version 304 for that matter) offers a higher max MCH voltage. The 304 is 1.65V max. My P5AD2-E went up to 1.80V. I am just hoping I can select it rather than have to do the voltage mod :)

I know of three people who are using the 0509 bios now. They claim it is the best of the bunch. Also claims of the multi unlock working now. I hope to try to it out for myself very soon.

Back