• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

hydor pumps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kurty

Registered
Iam building a maze 4 tec system for an athlon 64 3000+ venice
and i cant seem to decide on the hydor pump. I used two hydor l30's in my last system but that was with an RBX with nozzle 5. Been looking at the hydor l35 or l40? Is that too much flow for a maze 4 as far as heat dissapation is concerned? I used to use a via 640gph on a silverprop evolution and the results were amazing- 25c at idle- 32 under full load
overclocked on an xp1700 jiuhb dut3c

I do not recommend you get a TEC. They take a lot of juice to run and are not really worth it. However if you are dead set on it I would recommend either of them. The Maze4 is more of a low resistance however more flow (to a degree) will produce better temps. So either of the two will do however I recommend against your plan.

the fact that you are spending a lot of money to keep that running per month. Lets assume your computer runs 24/7 for one month and electricity costs $.08 kwhr. So 226w * 24hrs = 5424whr * 31 = 168144whr a month /1000 = 168.44 * .08 = $13.45 a month for your cooling. so thats $161 just for that pelt a year. Which is a lot of money (at least to me it is). Also they are pretty inefficient when it comes to cooling they only cool a few C below ambient and if you are going to go extreme at least go all the way.

SewerBeing said:
the fact that you are spending a lot of money to keep that running per month. Lets assume your computer runs 24/7 for one month and electricity costs $.08 kwhr. So 226w * 24hrs = 5424whr * 31 = 168144whr a month /1000 = 168.44 * .08 = $13.45 a month for your cooling. so thats $161 just for that pelt a year. Which is a lot of money (at least to me it is). Also they are pretty inefficient when it comes to cooling they only cool a few C below ambient and if you are going to go extreme at least go all the way.
it actually cost even more than that... A) PSU's are not 100% efficient so it's actually drawing more than 226w. B) The extra heat needs to be removed from your room somehow, so in the summer your AC bill will go up. This is offset slightly in the winter though since the heat won't run as often :p

the money spent on electricity doesnt matter to me- i live in a barracks since im in the navy...i dont exactly pay the electric bill...
also ive done all the insulation work already for the tec so im not going back
and i have an awesome case coming too:check this out :santa:
http://www.clearpc.ca/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=25&products_id=82
only the top has been modified to fit a BLXII instead of an innovatek
this is my second clear case and the same one- my last one had two individual cooling systems for the 9800 pro and xp2600 mobile
so i figure i should do pretty well on this a64, although i have been reading up and studying how to build my own phase change cooler

Cyrix_2k said:
it actually cost even more than that... A) PSU's are not 100% efficient so it's actually drawing more than 226w. B) The extra heat needs to be removed from your room somehow, so in the summer your AC bill will go up. This is offset slightly in the winter though since the heat won't run as often :p

Ok I admit I did make a few assumptions there but I had a good reason this laptop mouse pad is a pita to use so I got lazy :) However you are right it will cost more than what I calculated but I assumed my number would be high enough to scare him (guess I was wrong). Also you don't pay the electricity but the taxpayers do... Either way enjoy the rig and sorry to hijack your thread.

one more question with the meanwell s-320? Do you think i should get a stronger power supply if i want to run my gpu tec and cpu tec off the same one or is the s-320 not enough(226+80w=306w- almost at full load) im guessing a stronger meanwell would be better? especially if i use a 172w pelt on my 6800gt?

Back