• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Swiftech MCP-655 and DangerDen D5/Liang D5 - Any Diff?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

PerlAddict

DangerDen is currently out of stock of the Liang D5, but I found the Swiftech MCP-655 for a couple of bucks cheaper on Jab-tech.com.

Are the pumps identical? Sidewinder computers had the pump listed as an MCP-650 and said "also now known as the MCP-655." (http://www.sidewindercomputers.com/swmc12vdcpu.html)

I recall someone saying the MCP-650 was a little noisier than the D5, so I wanted to make sure if I didn't order from DangerDen, that I'd still be getting the same product, just relabelled under another brand name.

Thanks.

No, except that you can get 3/4" fittings on the Danger Den version....

Ah, now I understand the original question. The D5 is different in that it offers a rheostat feature to adjust pump power and its motor has been refined slightly. If it does not have the rheostat feature is NOT a D5 (MCP-655).

Danger Den D5 is the same thing as the Swiftech MCP-655
Danger Den D4 is the same thing as the Swiftech MCP-650

The D5/MCP-655 is quieter than the D4/MCP-650 and has the rheostat to control the noise+power consuption+pumping power. The D5/MCP-655 is also more powerful IIRC.

Bad ConNecTioN said:
No, except that you can get 3/4" fittings on the Danger Den version....
Danger Den's blurb has said that since the D5 was released, but I've never seen them actually offer 3/4" OD fittings in the fitting's drop box. FWIW, the Laing site lists a number of different pump housings for the D4 and I'd imagine the same are available for the D5--I've actually got both a D4 and D5 here but I haven't gotten around to seeing if the housing from one will fit the other. However, I've never been able to find anyone that carries the various housings and Laing as never responded to any e-mail I've sent. There must be a supplier somewhere selling the housings as replacement parts... suggestions?

Oh, and in case anyone is curious, what I'd like to find is a housing with a 3/8" NPT threaded inlet (I'm not too worried about the outlet, I can work with whatever it comes with) so that I can screw the pump into a custom reservoir.

um, yes there is lowfat... the mcp-655 is the newer revision of the mcp-650, mcp655 = D5, while the mcp650 = D4, so theres a considerable difference between the 650 and 655 if you didn't know already

Sneaky said:
um, yes there is lowfat... the mcp-655 is the newer revision of the mcp-650, mcp655 = D5, while the mcp650 = D4, so theres a considerable difference between the 650 and 655 if you didn't know already

I happen to own an 'MCP-655' however the model number on the pump still says mcp-650.

Yes there is a difference between the older MCP-650's and thr newers but they are still called MCP-650's.

yes, lowfat, does it have the blue motor housing or the black motor housing w/ the red rheostat dial on it?

cause if you have the blue one, its a MCP650 without exception, and if its black, its a MCP655 without exception

Sneaky said:
yes, lowfat, does it have the blue motor housing or the black motor housing w/ the red rheostat dial on it?

cause if you have the blue one, its a MCP650 without exception, and if its black, its a MCP655 without exception

yes its black with the speed dial. but the box and sticker on the pump itself still says MCP-650.

Lowfat said:
yes its black with the speed dial. but the box and sticker on the pump itself still says MCP-650.
Sneaky said:
who cares about the box and sticker, what you have is a MCP655
This exemplifies why I had rebranding, regardless of who does it. Swiftech probably had a bunch of "extra" stickers (or the new ones hadn't come in yet) so now there's a bunch of misidentified pumps floating about. I really don't understand why some resellers think they need to rename everything; there's nothing wrong in their saying that they're reselling a Laing Ecocirc D5 and leaving the original label intact.

And Sneaky, when you had that collection of D4's going, how many variations were there in the volt, amp, watt ratings between them and how many others have we heard of.... Much of the time minor variations aren't significant, but some times they are. So, I do think it's important that the original manufacturers label remain on the pump (or fan, or any other component) otherwise no one will ever know what they're dealing with.

FWIW, here's a shot of the label on the D5 I got from Danger Den last month. Maybe we should start a collection just to see how many different ways these pumps get "branded."

Attachments

• 2005-07-04 - 008s.jpg
    2005-07-04 - 008s.jpg
    43.2 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
there were 3 variations i had found - 17w, 18.6w or something, and 20w, the 18.6w being the newest one

i think all the 655/D5's are gonna be the same right now except for the swiftech or laing sticker that they get badged with

Back