• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ic7 Ide

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

AntmanMike

The Specifications for the default IC7 board (not the Max or IC7-G) state that it supports ATA/100 drives. Do recently BIOS updates expand that to ATA/133, or does that board not support the higher speeds? I dislike using a separate card for IDE.

That seems to be a bit troublesome.
On my old DFI WT70-EC board it too only had support for ATA100, but with a XP reg, it supported ATA133 disks. Can't remember what that file was called.

//Christian

That really does not answer my question -- an OS Registry File should not expand a chips default standards if it only supports ATA/100...

I know, i was stomped too, the I850 is ATA100. And it worked with a reg file.
Go figure, but it worked.

//Christian

It doesn't really matter. The extra 33mbps you won't reach unless its burst there for a second. Your hard-drive wont write any more than 60mbps, 80 if you have a raptor, so don't worry about ATA133.

To answer your question though, no. There are no bios updates for it.

Hey, I am kinda confused now -- my board says 'IC7 (revision 1.1)' on it, the box says IC7, but all the documentation says IC7-G. Is it an IC7 or IC7-G?

How about me? I have a IC7-G and just installed one Maxtor SATA 300Gb.
But in the mobo bios it post as one Maxtor ATA 100...
Why is that?

AntmanMike said:
Hey, I am kinda confused now -- my board says 'IC7 (revision 1.1)' on it, the box says IC7, but all the documentation says IC7-G. Is it an IC7 or IC7-G?

Is there a NIC chip on it? The IC7 doesn't have an on-board NIC, even though the Cat-5 socket is there.

That green square, that says IC7, is where the NIC chip goes. If that sticker is on a chip, you have an IC7-G. If that sticker is just on the board, with a bunch of unused contacts around it, you have an IC7.

The sticker or chip is right under the SB chip, and next to the BIOS chip.

steve

AntmanMike said:
No chip under the sticker :(
Shucks, was really hoping it was an IC7-G.

You know the sad thing, I had to go and look at my IC7, to figure this out. I'm just glad I have the IC7. (But, I want the IC7-G.)

And I'm glad it was the IC7, instead of the Max3, since the Max3 is at the bottom of the mobo stack, in my LEGO case. (I can't see it that clearly.)

The ONLY difference between the 7, and the 7-G is the gigabit networking capabilities, and you need to have gigabit capabilities in the complete network, to get any advantages. The other computer(s), routers-hubs-switches, and cabling need to be gigabit capable. The internet hookup really doesn't matter, since you don't have service that fast.

steve

AntmanMike said:
Can't gigabit network adapters connect to 10/100 networks as well?

Sure they can, but not at the gigabit rate.

steve

AntmanMike said:
Shadow, AFAIK, the SouthBridge controls IDE, not the Northbridge.

Apu: Thanks.
I only mentioned the I850, to let you know how outdated the board is.

//Christian

Back