• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

BSOD: machine_check_error

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Sjaak

After overclocking my chip a bit too much (apparantly), i keep getting the MACHINE_CHECK_ERROR BSOD. According to Deathman here it has to do with CPU speed, but my rig was SPI 1M stabile, and crashed immediatly after.

I tried googling but i can find little more information. Any help appreciated :)

Without knowing which OS you're running, I'll assume it's XP or W2K. What we need in order to be able to help you is the actual content of the "Stop Hex Code", something along the lines of...

STOP: 0x0000009C (0x00000004, 0x80545FF0, 0xB2000000, 0x00070F0F)

That information can be the essential clue to the underlying cause of your problem. Causes of your particular error (MACHINE_CHECK_EXCEPTION) are usually hardware related...overheating, overclocking, or an actual hardware defect (RAM, CPU, and MB are the most common.)

Sorry my bad. Running Win XP PRO NL.

I've just mounted a temp sensor near the Die of my CPU so i will be able to monitor it more accuratly then with the Asus Prove software (which is inaccurate as hell because of the Adapter. (pentium-m) Temps were in the low 50'ies. (estimate)

By the time it crashed, my RAM was running at a speed that is (with a lower CPU clock) perfectly stabile in memtest so that shouldn't be the problem. But as to why windows would BSOD at a too high CPU clock, i have no idea. I will try to cause another one and write down the info, will report back later.

Back