• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Is this illegal? XP CD's

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

ps2cho

hey i dont know if this is legal or not.

Ok what i wanna do is have my XP CD on two different hard drives because i wanna keep seperate files and folders, these hard drives will be kept on one computer alone, just switched out because i want to make a sort of 100% clean backup of folders(not a cd because i dont want to loose it)

Is this legal because i mean its on one computer..just two hard drives.

It should be legal seeing as the licence agreement is that you only use the copy of the OS on one computer and technically you are doing so. Do you meant that one HDD will be kept outside of the CD so you have a backup of your OS, programs and data so that it cannot be affected by viruses on the host computer/ changed in any way?

I see no reason why what you suggest shouldn't be illegal.

exactly.

cos i remember it only saying per computer, not hard drive.

thanks for clarifying

No problem :beer:

Just remember to keep updating drivers and stuff on your second HDD and remember that if you change your hardware you may have to reinstall Windows on the second HDD.

You guys need to read the EULA more carefully. MS considers it illegal.

WindowsEULA said:
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
conditions of this EULA:

* Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER.

Ryanmartini, that's what I thought. It would be clear that the Windows installation was a backup and therefore that he's not distributing it illegally so I don't think that anti piracy agencies would mind too much, especially seeing as it is clear from the drivers etc that would be installed on it that it was a backup and it's legal to make a backup of any software you own.

Oh and CrystalMethod, surely aren't products such as Norton Ghost technically illegal if this is true?

making a backup drive i dont think would be any different then using north ghost to make a .v2i image file to later use.

You are still only installing a single operating system per license and this is ALL M$ is concerned with so you are entirely within your rights to do anything else with that software as long as it is installed on only one system.

R

CrystalMethod said:
You guys need to read the EULA more carefully. MS considers it illegal.

It says on the COMUTER though. Doesnt say anything about multiple hard drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WindowsEULA
1. GRANT OF LICENSE. Manufacturer grants you the following
rights, provided you comply with all of the terms and
conditions of this EULA:

* Installation and Use. Except as otherwise expressly provided in this EULA, you may install, use, access,display and run only one (1) copy of the SOFTWARE on the COMPUTER.

Last edited:
A little farther down it says
Storage/Network Use. You may also store or install a copy of the Product on a storage device, such as a network server, used only to install or run the Product on your other Workstation Computers over an internal network; however, you must acquire and dedicate an additional license for each separate Workstation Computer on or from which the Product is installed, used, accessed, displayed or run. A license for the Product may not be shared or used concurrently on different Workstation Computers.
It implies that Network/Storage are one in the same, so an internal Network/Storage copy should be within the agreement.

Back