• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why are they the same price? there is 40gig diff!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
cause no one wants 40 gig drives?? so they have to price higher to make profit off dumb buyers?

Mr_Fuchs said:
that makes no sense, if demand is low and supply is high wouldnt they lower the price ?

Not if they already have a ton of 40Gb drives sitting in a wharehouse that they don't want to lose money on

Mr_Fuchs said:
but wtf, why not lower the price, and thenthat still makes no sense. They are even listed RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER.

nowadays most people cant work with a 40 gig hardrive (consider my UT2k4 folder alone is 10 gigs) and it costs the same to make an 80 gig, so if they have 100 in stock, then it doesnt help to over price it because people prolly arent gonna buy it anyway. ****es me off (cause id like to get a small SATA HDD for like 25$) but hey what can you do atleast HDDs are getting cheap in general. Also it might be that the cost of making the drive is too high to make it much cheaper then a 80 gig (according to me the 80 gig is the 20 gig of a few years back)

Mr_Fuchs said:
that makes no sense, if demand is low and supply is high wouldnt they lower the price ?

Sure it makes sense, I mean why else would they charge $193 for Geforece4 Ti4600

Many sites still sell Intel Pentium III 1000 Slot1's for well over $150, it's supply and demand. The supply is low, the demand might be low, lets say you have a person that has a dual processor PIII Secc2, lets say one of their Secc2 processors die and they dont want to upgrade their whole system and only need one secc2 processor, well they have the consumer over a barrel, so they charge a mint.
ky.gif

you cant compare cpus, cpus have a very tight market,where as hard drives are very elastic. How does it make more sense to keep 40 gig hard drives in the warehouse than to sell them slightly cheaper ?? maybe it is meant to boost sales on the 80 gig ?

because according to market statistics they will sell at the price at a high enough volume that it would out do the profit if it were 10-20$ less. lets say 40 gig HDDs were even 20 dollars, alot of people still wouldnt buy them cause they'd have to put 5 to meet their needs. thats why even if theres a good deal on a drive under 120 gigs it doesnt get much light, but at the 1st sign of a 10 dollar price drop on a bigger drive everyone jumps off it. i as well as everyone else are trying to explain this as simple as possible. and no the CPU market is not inelastic. by definition its elastic because prices go up and down according to how long its been out, nothing in computers in inelastic. inelastic supplies are things like gas, water, and drugs (not illegal). your general views of economics are too broad.

-------------
-price of HDD is constant (matirial value of the drive) and variable (profit off the drive)
-40 gig has atm higher supply then demand with low amount of production, so they can afford to keep price high, cause they dont have to move it as quick
-80 gig has much higher demand (significiantly less costly then 120gigs+ and provides adiquite storage) demand and supply in accordence with production rate forces price down (if they raise the price people will jump on higher storage drives and 80s will just lay around)
*40 gig drives are prolly bought most by small time computer techs that some novice comp user comes to them asking for some extra space, so the price doesnt hurt the tech as much as it does the novice user*(this isnt fact this is just a guess)

Mr_Fuchs said:
you cant compare cpus, cpus have a very tight market,where as hard drives are very elastic. How does it make more sense to keep 40 gig hard drives in the warehouse than to sell them slightly cheaper ?? maybe it is meant to boost sales on the 80 gig ?

I gave two examples, Video cards and CPU's. With Processors, It's hardly a tight market, in fact its anything but tight. When was the last time you couldnt find a processor that was released, and I'm not talking about the top of the line, crazy expensive models, as most people don't buy those. They can sell Hdd's, Cpu's or any peripherals for whatever they want, that doesn't mean it will sell.

Silversinksam said:
Many sites still sell Intel Pentium III 1000 Slot1's for well over $150, it's supply and demand. The supply is low, the demand might be low, lets say you have a person that has a dual processor PIII Secc2, lets say one of their Secc2 processors die and they dont want to upgrade their whole system and only need one secc2 processor, well they have the consumer over a barrel, so they charge a mint.

In this case, I would most likely just go to Ebay. ;)

eBay is also a place to find someones' dead junk too. The will sell the 40GB just as well as the 80GB. Somepeople's boards can't go above 40GB, so why buy the bigger drive. If they bought the bigger drive, then they need a new MB, CPU, RAM, Vid card (why not, everything else is new) etc....way too much to spend. I just found outmy pIII733 can't run my 80GB hard drive, but I am sure it will run the 40GB after formating. (I've checked, no bios updates for that beast). Tkae care and I appologize for the typos and poor grammar, it's been a beer and wine night with the neighbors. :)

It costs no less to make the 40GB drive than it does the 80GB one. If you want to isolate something that actually makes no sense, find the person who would buy the 40GB when this is the reality of the situation.

Back